Pink Brandywine Sudduth Strain vs. unknown strain

Everything About Tomatoes
Frosti
Reactions:

Pink Brandywine Sudduth Strain vs. unknown strain

Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:06 am

Hi all,

I've had Pink Brandywine Sudduth strain side by side with an unknown Pink Brandywine strain three times now and every time the result was the same. This experiment took place in three different locations ...
These are pictures of the current season:
Sudduth strain on the right, unknown to the left.
IMG_8052.jpeg
Sudduth strain on the left, unknown to the right.
IMG_8050.jpeg
The Sudduth strain is always half the height, half the size, has less than half the production, and is sickly. Its fruits tasted better though (at least last year) ...

Is this your experience as well or do my seeds have a genetic defect?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Pink Brandywine Sudduth Strain vs. unknown strain

Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:42 am

Really interesting; such a stark difference. I haven't grown BW Sudduth so I can't speak from experience, but I wonder if it would be worth it to heat-treat your seeds next year before planting? But as you say, it might just be genetic. I'd be curious to get new BW Sudduth seeds and grow them side-by-side with your afflicted ones next year to compare taste and vigor/health.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:55 am

I have grown both Suddoth's as well as the generic Brandywine. In my garden Suddoth's was larger and bushier and not quite as productive as Brandywine. Both of my plants remained healthy throughout the season. Suddoth's seems to be a tad bit scalloped while Brandywine is smooth. I won't comment on flavor as it is subjective.
~ Patti ~

Frosti
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:04 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:42 am Really interesting; such a stark difference. I haven't grown BW Sudduth so I can't speak from experience, but I wonder if it would be worth it to heat-treat your seeds next year before planting? But as you say, it might just be genetic. I'd be curious to get new BW Sudduth seeds and grow them side-by-side with your afflicted ones next year to compare taste and vigor/health.
This year's Sudduth strain was grown from seed that I saved myself last year ... same result.

Frosti
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:06 pm

MissS wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:55 am I have grown both Suddoth's as well as the generic Brandywine. In my garden Suddoth's was larger and bushier and not quite as productive as Brandywine. Both of my plants remained healthy throughout the season. Suddoth's seems to be a tad bit scalloped while Brandywine is smooth. I won't comment on flavor as it is subjective.
interesting, so the vigor / health problems aren't something everyone experiences with this strain ...

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:18 pm

I’ve grown Sudduth’s only once, so small sample size. But it was slightly below the average of the rest of my slicers in size and vigor.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:50 pm

I suppose that I might have had an off-type if mine was so different than everyone else's. I saved seeds and that's what I have been growing as Suddoth's. I should get new seed and then try it again.
~ Patti ~

Shule
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:14 pm

I haven't grown Sudduth Strain, but I got a Brandywine Pink of an unmentioned sort. A friend randomly gave me the seed packet. The seed packet said it was from China (but sold in the USA legally, I believe). Anyway, mine is pretty vigorous and big. It does get disease symptoms on lower leaves, but it's been pretty resiliant other than that. Very prolific. Not as much flavor as Brandy Boy and my Brandy Boy crosses, though, but I like it a lot, because it has a high salt index tolerance, it's very productive, and it seems more disease-resistant than many tomatoes (against viruses and fungi, even under thrip pressure). This is the first year I've grown more than one plant. So, I should get to know it better.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Paulf
Reactions:

Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:54 pm

Twenty-five years ago after a phone call with the legendary seed seller Chuck Wyatt when I was brand new to the world of "heirloom" tomatoes I ordered seeds for Sudduth's Brandywine. Chuck convinced me to give another Brandywine a try and sent me some seeds for a Brandy he like better; Joyce's Strain. Not knowing what an heirloom tomato was, my socks were knocked off after many years of bigger, betters, boys and girls.

After that my Brandywine adventure began. Along with the Brandywines, Chuck had me trying about a dozen other heirlooms. The next season, with my handy dandy orange iMac the early gardening forums helped me on my way. Sudduth's and Joyce's were both excellent with Sudduth's , while not as prolific as a few of the others, was still the standard so far as flavor was concerned.

After several years of learning how to grow tomatoes and how to limit self induced disease problems I gave a try to as many Brandywines as I could find. So far the list includes heart shaped, Landis Valley, black, Liams, Yellow Platfoot, Glick's, Cowlicks, OTV and a non-pink Brandywine Red. The Red was quite a surprise because I like sweet tomatoes better than full flavored, but it was very good and productive.

If you can get the 'real" Sudduth seeds I encourage everyone to do so. OTV, even though it was a Craig and Carolyn variety never really did well for me. Sudduth, Joyce's and Cowlicks are my suggested varieties. It depends on your area, soil and weather I think for best results. Even a few tomatoes is worth the attempt.

Yak54
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:59 pm

I started growing Brandywine Sudduth in 2002 and would grow 3 plants each year along with my other tomatoes. 2008 was the last year growing it for me due to the fact that I only got 8-9 tomatoes per plant and I found Stump of the World to be pretty close for taste with 3 times the productivity, so Sudduth got replaced in my garden with SOTW until I tried Cowlicks in 2014 which gives me decent productivity, not quite as good as SOTW but a close second. So the last 6-7 years I alternate years between Cowlicks and SOTW. For me I need to get a minimum of 20 fruit from a plant variety to continue to grow it long term.
Dan

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:41 pm

Have grown Sudbury regularly for years, great taste, low producer, and almost always one of the largest plants in the garden. SOTW is another favorite and yes, much more productive. BS does does not do well for most people in the South, however. If you are in zone 8, it could go either way.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:39 pm

Frosti wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:06 am Hi all,

I've had Pink Brandywine Sudduth strain side by side with an unknown Pink Brandywine strain three times now and every time the result was the same. This experiment took place in three different locations ...
IMG_8052.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg

The Sudduth strain is always half the height, half the size, has less than half the production, and is sickly. Its fruits tasted better though (at least last year) ...

Can you send saved seeds from a stunted plant, my way?

Frosti
Reactions:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:09 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:39 pm

IMG_8052.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg

sure, wanted to participate in the MMMM swap anyway ...

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:54 am

Frosti wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:09 am
Tormato wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:39 pm

IMG_8052.jpeg
IMG_8050.jpeg

sure, wanted to participate in the MMMM swap anyway ...
The best way to send tomato, and other small seeds, is in a thin, plain envelope. like a business envelope or a greeting card envelope. A few very thin envelopes is better than one thick one.

As for Brandywine Sudduth, I've always had large plants, and OK production. It is one of only a few plants that I vigorously shake each morning, in an attempt to help the pollen from clumping.

It is the most finicky variety that I've ever grown. Craig L in this Epic Tomatoes book, says the same. Fairly bland tomatoes 4 out of 5 years, and the best tasting tomato of all, in 1 in 5 years, is worth all of the disappointing years.

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:14 pm

I've tried to grow Brandywines 3 times and got zero tomatoes. I'm thinking a hybridized version like Brandy Boy should be more productive. Any thoughts on Brandy Boy versus Brandywine in terms of production/flavor?

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am

This sounds like an interesting project that will consume several years of your life. I grew Brandywine Sudduth several years ago. If I remember right it was hit or miss on both production and taste. I guess that is why I no longer grow it. If I remember correctly, LeHoulier recommends Johnny's as the purest and original Suddith strain. Although there are a lot more people on this site who have greater knowledge than me, I think I would order several packages of seeds from Johnny's and commence on on a several years project.

I believe that I would separate the three plants from each other as far as possible and make fairly detailed notes on each individual plant. It should quickly be obvious about whether you have genetically inferior original seeds. If you decide to go on with this you are for a lot of meticulous note- taking work and a boatload of tomato tasting. When I do something like this, I let the tomatoes ripen on the vine and plug them like a watermelon from the blossom end down. I will taste every tomato, both large and small. If you do find what I call a "sock knocker", you can save seeds, keeping them separate along with your notes for another project later on.

As time goes by, if you were able to chart it, you will have what resembles a hurricane path prediction chart with lines going everywhere. You can spend a lifetime working on the projects that ensue from this original.

I wish you Good Luck with anything you decide to do and Happy Gardening.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:28 pm

Ken4230 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 am … If I remember correctly, LeHoulier recommends Johnny's as the purest and original Suddith strain. Although there are a lot more people on this site who have greater knowledge than me, I think I would order several packages of seeds from Johnny's and commence on on a several years project.
I don't know if it was Craig LeHourlier who said what I read, but I definitely read somewhere that Johnny's was supposed to have the true version of it, or maybe it was the true Brandywine they said it was. The funny thing is, they don't even advertise that it's Sudduth's strain (AKA Quisenberry) in the variety name (just in the description). :) Here it is:

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/ ... -2845.html

I've been wanting to get these particular seeds from this particular store for years.

The product description itself says "Our 'Quisenberry' strain is considered among the best."

Here's some information about the Sudduth's strain:
https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bra ... udduth%27s
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Tomato Talk”