Crossing question

Share your breeding experiments and crosses you're working on
OmarLittle
Reactions:

Crossing question

Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:30 am

So I've decided as a fun little project to start a tomato cross. As this is my first foray into this, a question occurred to me. Will the variety I select to be the mother plant affect the kind of tomatoes I will get?

I guess I could try both varieties as the mother plant and see the difference. In fact that might be what I do.

If anyone is curious the varieties are Inciardi and Santa Maria

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Re: Crossing question

Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:59 am

Are those two varieties very different from each other? What’s your goal for the cross?
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

bower
Reactions:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:14 am

The only difference in choice of mother plant are the genes that are non-DNA.
Mitochondrial and chloroplast DNA come only from the mother. But there are genes in the DNA that also may affect mtDNA and cpDNA functioning, so in many cases reciprocal crosses would appear to be identical.
Over the years I've noticed a few traits that are easier to recover when they come from the mother in a cross - earliness and cold tolerance are typical traits that can be affected by non-nuclear DNA. By easier to recover, I mean you may still recover the earliness if a later parent is used as the mother, but you may have to grow larger numbers of plants to find an early one.
Another thing I've noticed, is that some disease or pest susceptibilities appear to be passed through the maternal line. Small metabolic differences in non nuclear traits seem to make the descendants more appealing to aphids, for example.
So I personally think the choice of mother plant is worth thinking about if you are trying to introduce some more robust metabolic traits to a favorite fruit. But it may not make any difference, if those goals are not part of your plan.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

steve ok
Reactions:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:12 pm

The first time I attempted a cross the only goal I had was a successful cross. I'm sure this is true for many first timers.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:10 pm

steve ok wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:12 pm The first time I attempted a cross the only goal I had was a successful cross. I'm sure this is true for many first timers.
If you crossed two red regular leaf pastes how would you tell though?

Pictures below are of Inciardi and Santa Maria Paste from a quick google search.

IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark_Thompson on Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:29 pm

bower wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:14 am The only difference in choice of mother plant are the genes that are non-DNA.
Mitochondrial and chloroplast DNA come only from the mother. But there are genes in the DNA that also may affect mtDNA and cpDNA functioning, so in many cases reciprocal crosses would appear to be identical.
Over the years I've noticed a few traits that are easier to recover when they come from the mother in a cross - earliness and cold tolerance are typical traits that can be affected by non-nuclear DNA. By easier to recover, I mean you may still recover the earliness if a later parent is used as the mother, but you may have to grow larger numbers of plants to find an early one.
Another thing I've noticed, is that some disease or pest susceptibilities appear to be passed through the maternal line. Small metabolic differences in non nuclear traits seem to make the descendants more appealing to aphids, for example.
So I personally think the choice of mother plant is worth thinking about if you are trying to introduce some more robust metabolic traits to a favorite fruit. But it may not make any difference, if those goals are not part of your plan.
One thing to add is that a certain mother plant might be easier to pollinate than the other way around.

I'd love to hear about experiments crossing big beefsteaks with cherries each direction and see what the differences are.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:36 pm

bower wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:14 am The only difference in choice of mother plant are the genes that are non-DNA.
Does that work with green gel traits, and their susceptibility to be dissed by this pest? ;)

Return to “Tomato Crossing/Breeding”