Carnivorous plants

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
JayneR13
Reactions:

Carnivorous plants

Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:54 pm

Does anyone here grow carnivorous plants? Venus flytraps, pitcher plants, sundews, etc? I do as a side hobby, and today I'm proud to report my very first propagation of Cephalotus follicularis, the Australian pitcher plant! It only took 11 weeks! I've included the mother plant for reference. Please enjoy!
IMG_2231.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

George Bernard Shaw

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: Carnivorous plants

Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:54 pm

Congratulations and lucky you to have it. Seed is very hard to come by here and I have not seen plants available for purchase, although I have not been to any carnivorous plant society meetings, assuming that we have one here. Plants are very rare in the wild with only a limited distribution in South West Western Australia and yes, I have seen it, way back in 1989 with a group of like minded plant friends went over there

JayneR13
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:21 am

I bought mine from a (hopefully) reputable dealer, who likely (hopefully) propagates from cultivated plants. I've read that plant poaching is a horrible problem globally, and I don't want to participate in that. And you do have a society over there:

https://auscps.com/

I'd send you a few pullings but I'm sure that's illegal :( What do you have in your collection?

George Bernard Shaw

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:56 am

@JayneR13 , only have a couple of of Venus Fly Traps in the Carnivorous plants stakes, which reside on the kitchen windowsill.

Thanks for the link, will check out that society soon, most are based a long way north of me.

JayneR13
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:43 am

I only have a few, especially compared to some I know who have 600+! These are not the easiest plants to grow and require extra care, so I have only a few dozen. In addition to flytraps, I have two Sarracenia pitchers, a few butterworts (Pinguicula), and several sundews. I've found that Sarracenia are a pest magnet. I've learned about everything from thrips to mealy bugs, thanks to them! I do have one North Carolina Yellow Jacket that's done well however. It's the best remedy for house flies I've seen yet!

Do you follow any of the societies on YouTube? The American society, ICPS, has a channel with lots of educational fare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George Bernard Shaw

Whwoz
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:30 pm

No I don't follow any of the societies on YouTube, carnivorous plants are not something that I have had a great interest in growing, those Venues flytraps were a birthday present from the kids..

From what I recall, that Australian pitcher plant was growing in a swamp under trees and grass in a fairly low light situation. The amount of red in your plant may indicate that it is getting too much light. Not sure, after all it is nearly 35 years ago when we were over there.

PS. What the sandgropers call a swamp varies a lot depending upon which part of WA you are in. These occur naturally way down south near Albany.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:17 pm

You know at first glance it looks like Coronavirus plants.
Just saying. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JayneR13
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:42 pm

Well, mine seems to be happy where it is. I’ve had it for a few years now where other plants have died. Thanks for the thought though.

Here’s another favorite: Drosophyllum lusitancum, the dewy pine. I grew one from seed and decapitated it while pruning one day. After some difficulty getting others past a certain point, I purchased this one on Etsy and put it back into the old plastic pot the other had been happy in. I think the other very attractive pot I’d tried growing others in was toxic. Carnivores are rather picky.

A closeup of the leaves, just because they’re so kewl!

IMG_1884.jpeg

George Bernard Shaw

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:46 pm

1-IMG_6416.JPG
1-IMG_6422-001.JPG
_
Sundews at Dolly Sods, West Virginia.

JayneR13
Reactions:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:20 am

Wow! How cool is that! I've never seen any of these plants out in the field, more's the pity. Of course, these days my idea of camping out involves a bed & breakfast. @Seven Bends did you take those photos yourself?

George Bernard Shaw

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:41 am

JayneR13 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:20 am Wow! How cool is that! I've never seen any of these plants out in the field, more's the pity. Of course, these days my idea of camping out involves a bed & breakfast. @Seven Bends did you take those photos yourself?
Yes, I took the photos. Those are roundleaf sundews viewed from the boardwalk on the Northland Loop interpretive nature trail. I was happy for the boardwalk because it was a rainy day and I had to get down on my belly to take the pictures. Dolly Sods is a really cool place; wish I could get there more often.

JayneR13
Reactions:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:28 am

Cool! I'd love to see more of your pictures! Do you have any in cultivation?

George Bernard Shaw

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:56 am

That's all I have as far as pictures of carnivorous plants; I'm pretty sure those are the only ones I've ever seen, except for Venus flytraps in stores. Haven't ever grown any; I'd probably feel too sorry for the poor bugs, even though I know the plants have to eat. Plus the whole Little Shop of Horrors thing. They're fascinating, though!

JayneR13
Reactions:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:47 pm

My plants are the best solution I've ever found to domestic house flies! I don't feel sorry for them! :D

George Bernard Shaw

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:52 pm

I remember an old movie with a man eating plant.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

JayneR13
Reactions:

Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:56 pm

Did the plant look something like this?

Or this?

IMG_2689.jpg
Either way, that's two less house flies! The world must be a better place, just for that.

George Bernard Shaw

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:33 pm

That's got to rank way up there on the list of worst ways to die: slowly dissolved to death. On the plus side, it does make me feel less guilty about swatting house flies with a magazine. Next time before I swat one, I'll say "I'm saving you from a much worse death."

Return to “The Gallery”