Irrigation Nation!

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
worth1
Reactions:

Irrigation Nation!

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Irrigation tips, tricks, Q&A put them here.
Personally I am in the market for a new controller.
The old one works but when I get a new computer I won't be able to program my controller anymore, 'Story later.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Re: Irrigation Nation!

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 pm

I put my hemp patch on bottom ground this year. It has rained a lot. I lost just a few plants in low spots due to being too wet, but it has been worth it not to have to irrigate yet. When the weather turns dry, I will pull back one side of the fabric and put down drip tape. Dry weather can make thc spike in hemp, causing it to become illegal.

I have 40 psi tap water that has to go down a long hill. Probably 250 ft run and 40 ft drop. I know it will build a lot of pressure. I guess I should space out a series of pressure regulators? Normally there is just one on the header line.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Cole_Robbie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:11 pm I have 40 psi tap water that has to go down a long hill. Probably 250 ft run and 40 ft drop. I know it will build a lot of pressure. I guess I should space out a series of pressure regulators? Normally there is just one on the header line.
You will gain about 17.2 PSI at 40 feet of drop.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:46 am

[mention]Cole_Robbie[/mention]
This is how I came up with the figure of 17.2 pounds at 40 feet of drop in elevation.
For every ten feet of rise you get 4.3 PIS increase.
So 40/10=4 4X4.3=17.2.
If you already have 40 PSI at the top you will have 57 at the bottom where the drip tape I assume starts.
If this is so then your only concern is the main pipe leading down the hill and what it can handle.
Then you would just need to put the regulator at the start of the drip tape which I assume would be around 10 PSI.
If the drip line is branching out along the side of that hiil them you would have to consider the pressure on the way down.
These magic wands they sell on TV to spray stuff down like a pressure washer that you put on the end of your hose are bogus when they say they increase pressure.
What they do is increase velocity.
Worth

Return to “General Discussion”