Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
worth1
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:29 am

I have cheese that is always months if not years old.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:52 am

Here's my brisket from the BBQ section.

It was late I was hungry and I sliced it wrong.
Plus I didn't give it time to rest.
The picture is from yesterday.
It just set on the stove all night.
I had more today and it's fabulous.
Everything turned out good.
IMG_20240803_180617047_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240803_181736215_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240803_181740524.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:05 pm

A little over 5 pounds of freshly ground brisket flat for hamburger meat.
I'll make patties tomorrow and freeze them.
I was able to cut ground brisket or meat cost by around 2 or more dollars a pound and it's clean and fresh.
IMG_20240804_124558861_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:00 pm

Anyone have a recipe for burnt goat's feet? I saw that item in a supermarket the other day, at $18.99 for 2 pounds!

As for me, today was the first time in about a decade that I de-stringed string beans.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:05 pm

Tormato wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:00 pm Anyone have a recipe for burnt goat's feet? I saw that item in a supermarket the other day, at $18.99 for 2 pounds!

As for me, today was the first time in about a decade that I de-stringed string beans.
https://www.kothiyavunu.com/2013/02/mut ... -trotters/

https://uniquecooks.com/lamb-trotters-paya-curry/

Never had these. Looks pretty tasty.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:32 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:05 pm
Tormato wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 7:00 pm Anyone have a recipe for burnt goat's feet? I saw that item in a supermarket the other day, at $18.99 for 2 pounds!

https://www.kothiyavunu.com/2013/02/mut ... -trotters/

https://uniquecooks.com/lamb-trotters-paya-curry/

Never had these. Looks pretty tasty.
I think that I'll wait for McTrotters at the Golden Arches. :roll:

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:44 pm

I made a one dish Italian type pasta dish today, in the Instant Pot, something good for this type of weather, since not as much heat goes into the kitchen, both the cooking, and no cooking the pasta separate, then draining the pasta in the sink.

Put together some ingredients, sort of like a putanesca recipe, but I also had a pound of sweet Italian sausage I cooked with it, and I added some lentils, in place of some of the pasta. I cooked a chopped onion in some olive oil, about 5 min, to start on Sauté, then added 4 cloves minced garlic, cooked another minute, then added about 3/4c chopped Kalamata olives, with about 1/4c chopped green olives, and 1/3c salted capers, soaked, drained, and chopped, and 6 anchovies, chopped fine, and a tsp each of dried marjoram and thyme, plus a generous tsp of pepper flakes. After cooking about 5 minutes (while getting the sausage out of the skins), I added the sausage, and cooked, chopping it up, until nothing raw, and left some chunks of sausage. Meanwhile, I got just over 24 oz of tomatoes cut into chunks, to blend into a coarse purée. I poured that into the pot, then rinsed it out with 4 c of water, and put that in the pot, with 1/2 c of toor dal (this is the best one I have found for cooking this long with pasta, in the IP, as it stays a little firm, but not too firm, and doesn't get mushy), at least a tb of chopped basil (much more later), and brought it to a boil, then hit OFF. Then I stirred in 10 oz of those small shells, making sure they were all under the sauce, then put the lid on, and set Manual for 4 minutes. When that finished, I hit OFF, and vented the IP. I stirred in another generous amount of chopped basil - about 4 tb. After about another minute of simmering and stirring, with the residual heat, it is cooked just right, and I took the pot out of the base, to stop the cooking.

With all those olives, capers, anchovies, and sausage with salt in them, this is not for a low salt diet! :lol: And I added no more at all.
Imagefinished pasta dish, made in the Instant Pot, with some lentils, Italian sausage, and quite a few other ingredients. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:00 am

Stir fried very thinly sliced eye of round, sliced garden very red bell and green turning to red garden bell peppers, garden texas legend onions, sliced cremini mushrooms, grated fresh ginger, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and that got served over white rice. Best thing I’ve eaten in a long time. The peppers were outstanding with the beef.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:46 am

pepperhead212 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:44 pm I made a one dish Italian type pasta dish today, in the Instant Pot, something good for this type of weather, since not as much heat goes into the kitchen, both the cooking, and no cooking the pasta separate, then draining the pasta in the sink.

Put together some ingredients, sort of like a putanesca recipe, but I also had a pound of sweet Italian sausage I cooked with it, and I added some lentils, in place of some of the pasta. I cooked a chopped onion in some olive oil, about 5 min, to start on Sauté, then added 4 cloves minced garlic, cooked another minute, then added about 3/4c chopped Kalamata olives, with about 1/4c chopped green olives, and 1/3c salted capers, soaked, drained, and chopped, and 6 anchovies, chopped fine, and a tsp each of dried marjoram and thyme, plus a generous tsp of pepper flakes. After cooking about 5 minutes (while getting the sausage out of the skins), I added the sausage, and cooked, chopping it up, until nothing raw, and left some chunks of sausage. Meanwhile, I got just over 24 oz of tomatoes cut into chunks, to blend into a coarse purée. I poured that into the pot, then rinsed it out with 4 c of water, and put that in the pot, with 1/2 c of toor dal (this is the best one I have found for cooking this long with pasta, in the IP, as it stays a little firm, but not too firm, and doesn't get mushy), at least a tb of chopped basil (much more later), and brought it to a boil, then hit OFF. Then I stirred in 10 oz of those small shells, making sure they were all under the sauce, then put the lid on, and set Manual for 4 minutes. When that finished, I hit OFF, and vented the IP. I stirred in another generous amount of chopped basil - about 4 tb. After about another minute of simmering and stirring, with the residual heat, it is cooked just right, and I took the pot out of the base, to stop the cooking.

With all those olives, capers, anchovies, and sausage with salt in them, this is not for a low salt diet! :lol: And I added no more at all.
Imagefinished pasta dish, made in the Instant Pot, with some lentils, Italian sausage, and quite a few other ingredients. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
There is either putanesca, or there is not putanesca, there is no sort of putanesca. ;)

If you had any guests for dinner, what sort of caper did you get into?

Asking for a friend.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:56 am

I doubt that any friends I have now even know what a caper is, and they definitely don't know about salted capers - the best ones out there, but not available at most grocery stores.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 12:11 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:56 am I doubt that any friends I have now even know what a caper is, and they definitely don't know about salted capers - the best ones out there, but not available at most grocery stores.
I checked HEB and they say they are out of stock on salted capers.
I keep capers around but always forget to use them.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:35 pm

We used to keep salted capers on hand. I do have non pariel capers on hand at all times. Key ingredient to tartar sauce, among other things.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:14 pm

I had a toasted patty melt with my freshly ground brisket flat and white deli American cheese sliced 1/4 thick with mayonnaise.
Delicious.
I discovered I couldn't get my new dill pickle relish or hamburger dolls open in time so no pickles or relish.
These darn lids are hard to get off sometimes.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:54 pm

Stopped off at McDonald's for a double quarter pounder with cheese.
Yeah right.
But it is a double quarter pounder with real American cheese from the deli, mayonnaise, dill relish and harissa sauce.
Each patty weighed 4.5 ounces before cooking.
IMG_20240807_184756691_HDR.jpg
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:26 pm

Finally cool enough to cook again. I finally found some chicken hearts at the local grocery in Paradise, got a big stew simmering with the usual bay, summer savory, onions, carrots. And basmati rice.
Last night I made date crumbles variant with almond flour and almond meal instead of flour. Taste is great but really earned the title of 'crumbles', not sure if baking longer would help or maybe go to an egg with the oil to get a firm crumb. Gluten intolerant SIL, friend, are motivating but it's fun to experiment with different crumb crust materials and the more nuts the better I like it.
The other thing I made recently for a weekend party with my gluten-free friend was 'Slither Pie'. Almond flour and almond meal and oat flour for the parbaked crust. Filling one 8 0z block of cream cheese, 1/2 cup firm whole milk yoghurt, 1/2 cup fresh lime juice. Dotted with cut pieces of black currant jelly. It only had an hour to set before I headed out and in the warm car... oh yeah, so close to disaster. The jelly sank and made swirls, while the slither tried to escape its crust and barely failed. Even so, it was solid enough to slice by the time we ate and another hour in the fridge. Kids liked it, that's a plus.
There was a bit of filling left in the bowl which I ate last night after couple days in the fridge: nicest limey mousse you can imagine and very well set. So I think I will repeat the experiment with proper chilling instead of a road trip.
I wasn't that crazy about the strong 'condensed milk' taste on the 'easy lime pie' I found online. I wanted tangier and more lime flavor, and this shot with the yoghurt tastes right to me, as long as I can get it to set.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Aug 07, 2024 8:32 pm

My brother bought a sea worthy boat a couple of years ago and tonight he treated us to fried Sea Bass and Striper. It was really good. My preference is for the Sea Bass but only because of texture. I am seriously impressed with his skill in filleting those fish, the filets look professionally done. Wish I had taken some pics of them before he breaded and fried them. Caught yesterday. Sea Bass in the1st pic, Striper in the 2nd.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Aug 08, 2024 4:43 pm

More Sea Bass from my brother, cooked my way. Lemon, butter and white wine. It was delicious! I also have leftovers. Yay!

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Aug 08, 2024 4:59 pm

Fish and chips please. :D
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:38 am

I had a small 8 ounce beef patty made from my home ground brisket.
I ate about 6 ounces and couldn't eat anymore.
I was stuffed.
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:23 pm

Bulk cooking tonight, to replenish the freezer after a month of never cooking.
I did cold cuts first: lemon pepper chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) and pork tenderloin : fresh thyme and lemon balm, garlic, sesame oil, black pepper in evoo/white balsamic vinegar with ground almonds sprinkled on top.
Second I had two packs of full chicken legs to cook (on special of course, $7-8 for five pack) so I seasoned one lime chipotle and one tandoori masala with garlic and lemon. Tons of fresh garlic in all of these from my split bulbs that won't keep.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “What's Cooking.”