Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Ken4230
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:27 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:52 pm Bone-In Center Loin Rib Pork Chops, Thick Cut in the crockpot. Can of cream of mushroom soup, a little water, salt and pepper.

Sides will be white rice and cucumbers dressed in sour cream and a little vinegar.
Do you ever try Balsamic Vinegar with the cucumbers? Has a slightly different taste but I really like it. I prefer pork as my primary domesticated meat. I buy Boston Butts and have the butcher slice them 3/4 inch. Well seasoned and cooked on low in an iron skillet for 3 hours. Fall apart tender. I eat a lot of venison, maybe 4 or 5 times a week.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:41 pm

karstopography wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:24 pm @worth1 my dad loves Steen’s cane syrup. Does it still come in the yellow can? Hot from the oven cornbread with plenty of melting butter and some Steen’s was something we had many times growing up. I like Jalapeño Cornbread, can’t say I’ve had Habanero cornbread.
Yes it still comes in the yellow can.
I've tried all manner of commercial syrups and they all suck.
I just threw a bottle out because it didn't have any flavor.
My best comparison is...
Steen's is like morphine to other stuff being like aspirin.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:54 pm

Ken4230 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:27 pm
karstopography wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:52 pm Bone-In Center Loin Rib Pork Chops, Thick Cut in the crockpot. Can of cream of mushroom soup, a little water, salt and pepper.

Sides will be white rice and cucumbers dressed in sour cream and a little vinegar.
Do you ever try Balsamic Vinegar with the cucumbers? Has a slightly different taste but I really like it. I prefer pork as my primary domesticated meat. I buy Boston Butts and have the butcher slice them 3/4 inch. Well seasoned and cooked on low in an iron skillet for 3 hours. Fall apart tender. I eat a lot of venison, maybe 4 or 5 times a week.
No, but I love Balsamic vinegar.

Wife isn’t a lover of whitetail venison and I don’t care how the carcass was handled, hung, not hung, aged, not aged, buck, doe, doesn’t matter she can smell cooked whitetail venison from a mile away. She grew up in the city with city parents and no hunters. She will tolerate venison sausage that’s primarily pork and heavily seasoned with garlic to mask the venison.

She like Axis venison, but we don’t have access to the Axis hunting ranch any more. She also likes Elk venison, but those only come along every so many years.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:34 pm

How much habanero did you put in?

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:38 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:34 pm How much habanero did you put in?
The ingredients were...
One cup of yellow corn meal.
1/2 cup of flour.
2 teaspoons of baking powder.
1 teaspoon of salt.
1 large egg.
Cup of raisins more or less.
And so on.
It made an 8 inch skillet of cornbread.

To answer your question I used one chopped up habanero no seeds.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:10 pm

I didn’t have linguine in the house so fettuccine was the next best thing. Didn’t have heavy cream so I used whole milk with butter and a little flour for thickening. Sliced garlic, Thyme from the garden, lots of white wine and one whole Hananero with seeds removed (I used gloves, lol). It was delicious! Not too hot and very tasty! Plus, plenty of left overs.

bower
Reactions:

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:25 pm

I made a quiche last week - first time ever - and I didn't have heavy cream, half and half or whole milk, so I used 1/2 cup whole milk yoghurt and 1/2 cup of sour cream to the 4 eggs - it set up really well with no hassle and a very creamy custard. Sitting on top of the scapes and mushrooms in a layer, but that is a different issue...
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:43 pm

I'm frying fish taters and onion rings.
Made my own dipping sauce that has ketchup hot sauce yellow mustard blue cheese dressing freshly ground black pepper and mayonnaise.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:09 pm

That is some combination, Worth. Having trouble imagining what it tastes like.

There is an old substitute for heavy cream, you add two tablespoons of butter to whole milk to up the fat content of the milk. It probably wasn’t as good as having heavy cream but it worked. It coated the pasta well and the end result was delicious. I really liked the Habanero. I think chopping one up in salsa would be a bit too hot for me. I tasted a tiny piece of what I chopped up and it did pack a pretty good punch eaten alone like that. But added to a pretty good amount of pasta and some milk and butter, that probably tamed it a bit and made it just right for me. Tasted entirely different than the Thai peppers.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:42 am

I made a batch of caponata last night, fairly standard, except for the millet I cooked, and stirred in at the end, to add bulk to it. It doesn't really take that long, once everything is cut up, and mise en place.

I started it, like many eggplant dishes, by salting the cubes, and draining, and drying them. While that's going, I cut up and measured everything out, and started cooking the onion in a little olive oil, until soft, then added the celery, cooked a few minutes longer, then added the bell peppers and minced garlic, and cooked another 2 min. Then I added the chopped olives, chopped capers, currants, raisins, pine nuts, and the thyme scented oregano, along with the tomatoes. This was mixed, and brought to a simmer, covered, and simmered for 15 min, stirring a couple of times. While that was cooking, I put 1/2 c millet and 1 c water in the IP on Manual/9 min, and let it cook, and release, while doing the rest of the dish. I drained, and blotted dry the eggplant, and tossed it with about 4 tb olive oil, to coat the cubes (it absorbs less, this way),
then set aside the sauce, when done, and cooked the EP in a NS pan, half at a time, to get some browned sides on it, then drained it on PTs. Then I brought the sauce back to a simmer, with the EP and millet stirred in, cooked it about 7 or 8 minutes, then stirred in a tb of sugar and 1/3 c red wine vinegar, stirred to mix it up, then cooked it about 15 min, to boil off most of the vinegar, but leave that signature sweet and sour flavor. And an unusual but delicious option that I added in this recipe was 3 chopped up HB eggs. Then it's garnished with some fresh parsley.
ImageSome ingredients for the caponata, some pine nuts, capers, currants, raisins, herbs, diced celery, and wine vinegar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBell peppers and chopped black and green olives, for the caponata. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageOnion cooked in some olive oil, with the celery added when softened. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHere, the ingredients in the bowl added, along with the tomatoes, to be simmered 15 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAbout half of the eggplant cubes, sautéed to brown. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image1/2 c millet, cooked in the Instant Pot, to add to the caponata - not traditional, but good. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageEggplant added to the sauce, to simmer briefly, before adding the vinegar, to simmer off. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAlmost finished caponata, before stirring in the hard boiled eggs, and garnishing with parsley. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image3 HB eggs, chopped and ready to stir in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished caponata. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Leftovers. Why is it that pasta with shrimp always looks he same? Change the pasta, change the sauce and seasoning, it tastes different but still just looks like pasta with shrimp. 🍤 🍝 :lol:

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:33 pm

This is some Texas country cooking if anything is.
A toasted hamburger bun top.
A hamburger patty.
Wolf brand chili.
Grated Colby cheese.
Diced onion.
Fried Yukon Gold potato wedges I made with the French fry cutter.
Blue cheese.
Fried Serrano pepper that's too hot to eat. :shock:
I also put hot sauce on top later.
IMG_20240718_182533089_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jul 20, 2024 10:09 am

The last of the sirloin steak two eggs sunny side up and biscuit halves with mayonnaise and apricot preserves.
IMG_20240720_100658393_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jul 20, 2024 12:00 pm

This morning I made a delicious omelette, with some of that caponata folded into the middle of it - that's it! I just spread some of the caponata on half of it, after the eggs were almost set, put a lid on it, and set it to the lowest heat, and waited maybe 5 minutes, until the caponata was heated, and eggs were completely set, then turned it onto the plate.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jul 20, 2024 2:53 pm

8 piece bucket of KFC extra crispy chicken only dark meat
I've got the sides covered.
Onion rings fried okra and Root Beer.
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jul 20, 2024 4:26 pm

Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:48 am

I'm happy for you and like the stuff.
But it still reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Lisa ruins the BBQ.
Worth

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun Jul 21, 2024 11:58 am

We're experiencing Zukapalooza -n- Cukapalooza at the Gotchberg Spread, and the lovely and long suffering Mrs. Gotch has just wrapping up the morning's Labor of LUV with the bounty; from left:
Zuke Onion Quiche w/Fontina & Feta, Raw Zuke Cuke Red Onion Salad, and (unsliced) Zuke Fingers
thumbnail_IMG_3047.jpg
The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:07 pm

I'm still eating on my KFC chicken.
Got 3 pieces left.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:22 pm

IMG_4626.jpeg
Could be the final Caprese Salad of 2024. Black Krim and the black from Tula imposter. Lettuce leafed basil and Genovese basil for the greens.

I still have a few tomatoes on the remaining hurricane wrecked plants. I pulled up the black from Tula imposter yesterday, along with four other tomato plants. Rabbits were eating the black from Tula tomatoes conveniently hanging mere inches from the grass on the horizontal plant. The rabbits could munch on the maters in the security of the shade and cover provided by the sprawling ground hugging 10’ black from Tula imposter. I only removed it so I could mow. I didn’t have the energy to try and save it.

This was going to be a good summer for the tomatoes and it looked like a decent shot at having a good crop through August, but Beryl had other ideas. The only upright plant partially spared of the worst damage by Beryl is Dr. Wyche’s yellow and naturally that’s the worst tasting tomato I have ever grown. Adding insult to injury, Beryl was good at that.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “What's Cooking.”