Disappearing posts

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Re: Disappearing posts

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm

When I started this I didn't want so many categories either that cluttered the board then everyone wanted this and that. I'm just trying to make the board work for everybody.

Another option instead of sub forums is to put stickies as a sub topic. It won't be listed on the main board so you'll still have to click the catagory and look for the thread. In reality it's not much different. The sub forums are easier to find from the main board, it's one click instead of two.

I can't get rid of the automatic forum it puts in a catagory and people usually use that first or were using that before I started adding the sub forums.

It's a new forum and has more tools than TV, I think once you get past the learning phase everyone will be happy. It's like a new grocery store, they have everything you're looking for but it's in a different location. I'm open to all suggestions to make everyone happy but it's hard to please everyone especially a big group. I sure didn't think we would have 185 members in 21 days.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:19 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:57 pm I just want the novice with their first tomato plant looking for help to feel as welcome here as the most experienced gardeners and professionals. To me, one of the happiest posts is the one from the person excited to grow their first tomato, who came to the internet to try to find out what to do with it and found us. It is the main reason I have been raising 75-100 plants and walking into the hospital wheeling my radio flyer wagon full of plants each year for anyone who wants them. People have come back to me, so excited that they got thier first tomato that they grew themselves, so happy, and so proud. I love that. I want to encourage that.
I think the best way to do that is to welcome everyone when they post in the introductions. I know a few sites that have regular members that agreed to help by always sending a welcome message just to make sure a new user gets acknowledged and feels welcomed.

I nominate Sue to build her team of Candy Stripers!!! :lol:

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 pm

I will help but when members are coming fast and furious it can get tedious quickly, lol.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks!! It could help but lately new users have been greeted very well due to the type of people we have here and I'm Thankful for that!!

Nan6b
Reactions:

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:07 pm

I guess there are lumpers and splitters, to borrow from taxonomy. Splitters want more forums, lumpers want fewer. I think too many forums is confusing. Time will show which forums actually get used.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:59 am

I'll get around to using some that aren't used in the homesteading section but things are a little hectic right now.
I honestly have no problem navigating the site.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “General Discussion”