seed that suits the shade

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Nico
Reactions:

seed that suits the shade

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello everyone and thanks in advance.
Which tomato plant is best suited to lack of sun ?, I have two small orchards, the two orchards stick to a stone wall that delimits my house with the house of the neighbors, therefore when I plant the last batch of tomato plants attached to that wall , none produces me well, since the other tomato plants make them shade and the wall also makes them shade, I think maybe the cherrys type better adapt ... I don't know ....
I would like to take advantage of the land that hits the wall and sow tomato plants they produce.
I hope I explained myself well.
Thank you very much
Nico
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

bower
Reactions:

Re: seed that suits the shade

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi Nico,
Sungold is a good bet, but other cherries might work as well. I had sungold setting tiny fruit in my greenhouse one year in January. No sun in there, in that season.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Nan6b
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:49 pm

You are right, Nico, probably cherry tomatoes. If you plant other vegetables, lettuce, spinach, pak choi, & rhubarb can all grow in some shade.
On the internet, someone says these are able to tolerate less light. I don't know if it is true:

Beefmaster
Berkeley tie dye pink
Black Cherry
Black prince
Carbon
De Barao
Druzba
Green Tiger
Indigo Apple
Jaune Flammee
Juliet F1
Kimberley
Maglia Rosa
Matt's Wild Cherry
Mule Team
Plum Regal F1
Porter
Purple Bumblebee
Red October
Rostova/Sunset's Red Horizon
Stupice
Sungold F1
Sunrise Bumblebee
Sweet Million F1
Tumbler

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:58 pm

I had an experience with one of my Stump of the World plants last year. Out in the full sun it kept getting BER and I mean lots so I took it out of the primo spot and tossed it into a hedge where the pot stayed in the shade though the plant did get some decent light in the day but not full sun all day. BER stopped and I got some good fruit from that one. That was in a 5 gal taller pot that maybe dried out too fast but once in the shadier hedge, no problem. I have suggested SOTW for next summer to friend who has tall trees surrounding her garden that gets shadier every year. That variety might be worth a try but I am skeptical that many tomato plants will like full shade. Even if they produce I think the flavour will not be there.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 pm

I think production will fall significantly in shade, but cherries and similar would probably be the best, because even with low production they can give you more than you need, lol.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:15 am

Hi Nico, it's hard to find a tomato that will grow and fruit in your shaded conditions. I guess you can do nothing but try. For the test I can offer you the best Czech tomato Start F1. This tomato in direct sunlight suffers from a yellow collar, so I tried it once in shaded conditions. It was not a deep shadow all day, but most of the day was not given tomatoes or a little direct sunlight. Tomatoes in the shade were far better than those in the sun. Since then I have grown them so that the other rakjrčata is preferably shaded mainly from the midday sun (at the end of the line directed from south to north). I think that in Spain, the lighting conditions are far better than in me and that it could work. The majority of Czech tomatoes tend to form a yellow collar and the penumbra suits them (also Stupice). If you are interested send PM to me.
Vladimír

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:55 am

Bower wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:46 pm Hi Nico,
Sungold is a good bet, but other cherries might work as well. I had sungold setting tiny fruit in my greenhouse one year in January. No sun in there, in that season.
Thank you very much for the Bower answer, I really don't like cherry tomatoes, last year I tried Sun Gold for the great reputation they had and the truth that tomatoes were pretty good and sweet and very productive, but I tried cherry tomatoes Spaniards that I liked more, in the area of land where the shade gives them, there are about 40 tomato plants and I think they are too many cherries, I will plant some sun gold, but the rest I will have to keep trying until I find the right one.
Thanks Bower.
Plants have, like animals, in the degree and almost in the form, the sensitivity, that essential attribute of life.

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am

Nan6b wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:49 pm You are right, Nico, probably cherry tomatoes. If you plant other vegetables, lettuce, spinach, pak choi, & rhubarb can all grow in some shade.
On the internet, someone says these are able to tolerate less light. I don't know if it is true:

Beefmaster
Berkeley tie dye pink
Black Cherry
Black prince
Carbon
De Barao
Druzba
Green Tiger
Indigo Apple
Jaune Flammee
Juliet F1
Kimberley
Maglia Rosa
Matt's Wild Cherry
Mule Team
Plum Regal F1
Porter
Purple Bumblebee
Red October
Rostova/Sunset's Red Horizon
Stupice
Sungold F1
Sunrise Bumblebee
Sweet Million F1
Tumbler
Thank you very much for the response Nan6b and I thank you for the list of tomatoes you recommend, maybe try some

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:00 am

Growing Coastal wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:58 pm I had an experience with one of my Stump of the World plants last year. Out in the full sun it kept getting BER and I mean lots so I took it out of the primo spot and tossed it into a hedge where the pot stayed in the shade though the plant did get some decent light in the day but not full sun all day. BER stopped and I got some good fruit from that one. That was in a 5 gal taller pot that maybe dried out too fast but once in the shadier hedge, no problem. I have suggested SOTW for next summer to friend who has tall trees surrounding her garden that gets shadier every year. That variety might be worth a try but I am skeptical that many tomato plants will like full shade. Even if they produce I think the flavour will not be there.
Thank you very much for the answer Coastal growth, the truth is that I have more than 10 hours of sun in my garden, except in the area where it gives more shade, but it gives them about two hours of direct sun and the rest of the light. Last year probe stump of the world, I thought it was a great tomato, very productive and great tasting tomatoes, but I put them in the area where the sun gives them direct every hour, I don't know if they will behave well with less hours of sun .

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:05 am

Sue_CT wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:11 pm I think production will fall significantly in shade, but cherries and similar would probably be the best, because even with low production they can give you more than you need, lol.
Thank you very much for the reply Sue_CT. Yes, I am sure that the shade yield will fall substantially, I have tried many varieties and some adapted better than others to the shade, but I only had about 4 tomatoes from each tomato, I understand that the cherries would adapt better than none, and even They recommended me dwarf tomatoes, but I prefer to paw the dwarf tomatoes in containers, it seems to me to waste the land for the dwarves having the possibility of having plants directly from the garden soil of more than 2 meters high.
I think there has to be some plant that suits better than others at less hours of sunshine

Nico
Reactions:

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 am

MrBig46 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:15 am Hi Nico, it's hard to find a tomato that will grow and fruit in your shaded conditions. I guess you can do nothing but try. For the test I can offer you the best Czech tomato Start F1. This tomato in direct sunlight suffers from a yellow collar, so I tried it once in shaded conditions. It was not a deep shadow all day, but most of the day was not given tomatoes or a little direct sunlight. Tomatoes in the shade were far better than those in the sun. Since then I have grown them so that the other rakjrčata is preferably shaded mainly from the midday sun (at the end of the line directed from south to north). I think that in Spain, the lighting conditions are far better than in me and that it could work. The majority of Czech tomatoes tend to form a yellow collar and the penumbra suits them (also Stupice). If you are interested send PM to me.
Vladimír
Thank you very much for the reply MrBig46. I send you a private, as I know you love Spanish tomatoes, I will be happy to send you seeds that I think you will love

Return to “General Discussion”