Sprouting grocery store seeds.

slugworth
Reactions:

Re: Sprouting grocery store seeds.

Sat May 11, 2024 12:45 pm

I am going to attempt to germinate store bought sun dried tomatoes again.
In the 1st episode they were treated with sulphites and never sprouted.
Today I bought organic ones no sulphites so I should have better luck hopefully.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

slugworth
Reactions:

Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:31 pm

1 popped up after about 2 weeks indoors under lights.
I see today a few more.
They will be kept indoors under lights in the precious tomato area (laundry room)

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:58 am

Somebody dropped a small yellow squash in the food store parking lot and it got kicked to the grassy knoll.
I brought it home but the seeds were too immature.
I was so close to free sprouts.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:12 am

slugworth wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:58 am Somebody dropped a small yellow squash in the food store parking lot and it got kicked to the grassy knoll.
I brought it home but the seeds were too immature.
I was so close to free sprouts.
That squash needs to be tan, warty looking, have a hard shell and be about 18" long, for viable seeds.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:27 am

I bought a weirdly shaped red tomato, at WalMart the other day, from that large bin of 1.98/lb tomatoes. It basically looked like half of a heart-shaped tomato, with one side essentially flat, and the other side normally rounded. I thought perhaps it had grown while pressed up against something flat. Was I wrong.

When cut in half, sideways, the inside of the rounded half looked like a normal tomato.

However, the flat half was completely solid, with no locules, gel or seeds. I saved seeds (from the other half), of course. ;)

slugworth
Reactions:

Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:34 am

slugworth wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:45 pm I am going to attempt to germinate store bought sun dried tomatoes again.
In the 1st episode they were treated with sulphites and never sprouted.
Today I bought organic ones no sulphites so I should have better luck hopefully.
I guess about 10% germination rate.
They take a LONG time to pop.
3 weeks
At the 1 month stage now under lights.

slugworth
Reactions:

Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:19 am

One has a triple cotyledon.

slugworth
Reactions:

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:14 am

6 weeks since the funeral and the plants are growing in clumps.
I have to buy new potting soil for re-potting in the near future.
Rl,should be interesting to see what they produce later on this year.
I will keep them indoors under lights.

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:32 am

Second year of growing out the multicolored snacking peppers from grocery store stock. Last year was a nice surprise with lots of red, yellow and orange small, sweet peppers. Each color ripened early and production was acceptable. This year we added Campari tomatoes. Harvested seeds from a Costco sourced tomato. They seem to be very vigorous and look like the grocery store variety. Most likely will be round, red and tasting like cardboard, but what the darn heck.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:04 pm

Paulf wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:32 am Second year of growing out the multicolored snacking peppers from grocery store stock. Last year was a nice surprise with lots of red, yellow and orange small, sweet peppers. Each color ripened early and production was acceptable. This year we added Campari tomatoes. Harvested seeds from a Costco sourced tomato. They seem to be very vigorous and look like the grocery store variety. Most likely will be round, red and tasting like cardboard, but what the darn heck.
Did you use seeds directly from the store peppers again this year, or seeds from the peppers you grew last year from the store peppers? I haven't tried the second generation yet to see what happens, still just growing them directly from the store peppers. I eat those store snack peppers all winter, so it's not hard to get new seeds, but I worry that they might change up the varieties in the bags and I won't be able to count on the same results.

Last year I grew two plants from seed from the red peppers and they did great. This year I'm growing two each of red, yellow and orange (plus an extra red).

I saved some Kumato tomato seeds a few weeks ago but I think I'll wait until next year for that experiment.

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:47 pm

Seven: Both last year and this year's seeds were from fresh peppers and replanted. Next year I will try saved seed from this year's crop.

nightshade
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:27 pm

I have had some luck with pepper seeds but the times I have tried tomato seeds I got unexpected results. The commercial growers must plant hybrid tomatoes so they get consist results - when you plant a seed from a hybrid fruit you never know what you will get.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:35 pm

nightshade wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 5:27 pm I have had some luck with pepper seeds but the times I have tried tomato seeds I got unexpected results. The commercial growers must plant hybrid tomatoes so they get consist results - when you plant a seed from a hybrid fruit you never know what you will get.
Yep most of not all tomatoes are a no go when sprouting seeds from the grocery store.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:41 pm

I picked my first Mucci Farms "Sweet to the Point" orange snack pepper on 8/3. I saved the seeds from a grocery store bag of mixed-color snack peppers this winter, planted the seeds on 4/21/24, and transplanted the plants into the garden on 6/10/24. The pepper was sweet and delicious, just like the ones from the store. All the plants (orange, yellow and red) have been vigorous and healthy so far.
1-IMG_0506.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

slugworth
Reactions:

Fri Aug 30, 2024 1:25 pm

The store bought organic sun dried tomatoes are starting to form little green tomatoes.
It should be interesting to see what those are like.
I saved a BK whopper slice to start the seeds next year.

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:01 pm

Update on grocery store tomato seeds (Campari); beginning to produce what seems to be identical salad sized, fairly good tasting tomatoes.

And on the multi-colored snacking peppers: These are the most productive pepper I have grown in years and the taste is very sweet and the texture is perfect. I will save some seeds for next year and also select seeds from a bag of peppers we will most likely purchase in the wintertime.

slugworth
Reactions:

Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:36 pm

When I tried Campari years ago they took forever to germinate; like 2 weeks.
They looked the same as the original.

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:44 pm

I'm still growing Chocolate Wild Wonder peppers, which are very productive. I bought a package of long, thin Wild Wonder peppers several years ago and saved seeds from the different colors of peppers separately (red, yellow, orange, brown). I've mostly grown the brown ones, since that color is difficult to find otherwise. (and I can call it Chocolate!)

I assume the seeds I originally saved are F2, and those are the seeds I've been growing for several years. I've also been saving some F3 seeds but haven't tried growing those.

markz
Reactions:

Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:45 pm

A few years ago I got some nice tasting tomatoes in late winter from my local Aldi called Adora.
Since the web site https://naturesweet.com/products/adora/ for the product claimed it was a Spanish heirloom, I saved some seeds.
I've grown them for several years now, and while they aren't always consistent, they are always tasty and productive medium sized slicing tomatoes.
Adora-s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Seed Starting”