The Tomato Rules!

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
MissS
Reactions:

The Tomato Rules!

Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:09 am

~ Patti ~
AKA ~ Hooper

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: The Tomato Rules!

Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:53 pm

I too and do think tomatoes rule, but as far as the CDC list goes they come in third for fruits. https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2014/13_ ... able1_down

No biggie or anything that’s going to hurt anyone by getting it wrong, bu I’m pretty sure the Delish writer Brittany Anas didn’t finish doing her homework with the CDC article when she said tomatoes are tops nutritionally for fruit.
Veggies, overall, dominate the top of the list, which features greens like spinach (86) and kale (49), as well as other staples like red bell peppers (41) and broccoli (34)..
But when it comes to fruit, the healthiest one is… the tomato. Yes, botanically speaking, tomatoes are considered fruit. They score a 20 on the CDC’s scale, just under carrots and right above lemons.
I hate to break it to Delish’s Brittany Anas, but peppers and pumpkins are also botanically speaking, fruits. If red bell peppers, fruit, score a 41, pumkins, also a fruit, a 34, and tomatoes a 20, then tomatoes fall under peppers and pumpkins.

Still, I’d say tomatoes are tops in flavor over the other two fruits even if tomatoes don’t score as high.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “General Discussion”