Daniel Burson - Regular Leaf

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Ken4230
Reactions:

Re: Daniel Burson - Regular Leaf

Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:31 am

MissS wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:58 am
FatBeeFarm wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:33 am @TheMad_Poet Just saw this thread and was astounded at your second photo where you marked the tomato with DB in marker. That's brilliant!! Maybe that's a common thing and I'm an nincompoop but I had never heard of it or seen it before. Some lucky days I collect so many tomatoes by the time I get inside it's hard to remember which is which. I'm sticking a marker in my collection apron ASAP. You just made my life easier and better and I appreciate it. May the tomato gods reward you with blessings for sharing that photo!
The marker and the electric toothbrush always go to the garden with me. LOL
Same here, both are in my bibs. Although I mark the blossom end, smoother writing surface and blossom end up on the counter. Sometimes when I am inundated I may skip some of the smaller ones. If I am saving seeds I mark them all.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:40 am

MissS wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:58 amThe marker and the electric toothbrush always go to the garden with me. LOL
Electric toothbrush?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Ken4230
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:16 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:40 am
MissS wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:58 amThe marker and the electric toothbrush always go to the garden with me. LOL
Electric toothbrush?
The Gotch
Toothbrush is used as a pollination aid. Back of the vibrating head of the toothbrush is held against the flowers and is the best way to pollinate tomatoes. above 95 the pollen becomes sticky and almost impossible to pollinate tomatoes. Lots of people will just shake their plants to help with pollination. Toothbrush is more efficient. Plenty of videos show how.

Yak54
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:22 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:40 am
Electric toothbrush?

The Gotch
Don't forget to floss ! ;)
Dan

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:11 am

Been doing the marker thing for years, only write on the top near the stem. That part gets tossed regardless. It is always a possibility of not having the proper seeds. I know for a fact I have gotten wrong seeds from pretty big vendors. More than once from the same shop. And in swaps a lot too. Getting on in years and going forward have decided to grow mostly from bought seeds from vendors I trust. And swapped seeds only If I know who sent them. Most on here I would trust with my life!!! As an example, many years ago I got seed from a vendor (the guy I will no longer do business with) for the Brandywine Suddath. They were not very good. This year I bought Suddath thru Johnny's Seeds. Grew side by side with cowlics this year. Suddath wins on flavor, close but my wife says the same. Both productive, but Cowlicks earlier. So all these years I have touted the cowlicks over the suddath, because I never had the right seeds. Now I wonder how many varieties that has happened with????

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:05 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:11 am Been doing the marker thing for years, only write on the top near the stem. That part gets tossed regardless. It is always a possibility of not having the proper seeds. I know for a fact I have gotten wrong seeds from pretty big vendors. More than once from the same shop. And in swaps a lot too. Getting on in years and going forward have decided to grow mostly from bought seeds from vendors I trust. And swapped seeds only If I know who sent them. Most on here I would trust with my life!!! As an example, many years ago I got seed from a vendor (the guy I will no longer do business with) for the Brandywine Suddath. They were not very good. This year I bought Suddath thru Johnny's Seeds. Grew side by side with cowlics this year. Suddath wins on flavor, close but my wife says the same. Both productive, but Cowlicks earlier. So all these years I have touted the cowlicks over the suddath, because I never had the right seeds. Now I wonder how many varieties that has happened with????
That's the hard part is knowing if you are growing the correct variety. As long as it's the correct shape, color and leaf-type then you assume what you are growing is true to type. Years later, you find out that what you have and also may have passed around, is the wrong variety. It really makes it hard to know if what you have grown is what you were supposed to have.
~ Patti ~
AKA ~ Hooper

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:26 pm

MissS wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:05 pm
TheMad_Poet wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:11 am
That's the hard part is knowing if you are growing the correct variety. As long as it's the correct shape, color and leaf-type then you assume what you are growing is true to type. Years later, you find out that what you have and also may have passed around, is the wrong variety. It really makes it hard to know if what you have grown is what you were supposed to have.
People are vain and have no idea the damage and confusion they're creating when they rename an unimproved tomato. An elderly lady may have grown "Smarty" for several years and when she dies, a daughter thinks how nice it would be to have a tomato named after her. So "Granny Green's Gorgeous Grape" is born. It's still the same old Smarty, thick skin and all. Precious memories until all the family dies.

This is a sore spot for me with all the different names for essentially the same tomato. There is not much we can do about it now. If someone like @Tormato spends a lot of time and hard work improving a tomato, he has the absolute right to give that NEW tomato a new name.

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:57 am

Ken4230 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:26 pmThis is a sore spot for me with all the different names for essentially the same tomato. There is not much we can do about it now. If someone like @Tormato spends a lot of time and hard work improving a tomato, he has the absolute right to give that NEW tomato a new name.
Yoikes...were there not an ocean of damning evidence to the contrary, The Gotch would blame @Mark_Thompson for renaming the Guido Heirloom the Monster Guido (viewtopic.php?p=106055&hilit=Monster+Guido#p106055)

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 16, 2024 8:32 am

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:57 am
Ken4230 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:26 pmThis is a sore spot for me with all the different names for essentially the same tomato. There is not much we can do about it now. If someone like @Tormato spends a lot of time and hard work improving a tomato, he has the absolute right to give that NEW tomato a new name.
Yoikes...were there not an ocean of damning evidence to the contrary, The Gotch would blame @Mark_Thompson for renaming the Guido Heirloom the Monster Guido (viewtopic.php?p=106055&hilit=Monster+Guido#p106055)

The Gotch
You gotta be very careful of using the correct names!
~ Patti ~
AKA ~ Hooper

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:34 am

@Cornelius_Gotchberg trying to get me all spun up this early in the morning, not gonna take the bait!
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:33 am

Mark_Thompson wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:34 am @Cornelius_Gotchberg trying to get me all spun up this early in the morning, not gonna take the bait!
Rats...that one got away...
istockphoto-160345552-612x612.jpg
The Gotch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion”