Daniel Burson - Regular Leaf

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Daniel Burson - Regular Leaf

Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:15 pm

Hi guys. Growing DB for the 1st time this year. 2 plants, both RL, was expecting PL. Do both exist? I requested it in several seed swaps cause many said it was really good. 1st one is just about ready to cut up. Picked early a few days ago due to all the rain, and I didn't want the flavor diluted. Looks like some photo's I've seen, a really dark dusty looking purple. Still growing several new to me varieties every year, hoping to find the Holy Grail, if you know what I mean. Brandywine Cowlicks still the best slicer I have ever grown. Growing side by side with Suddath this year, just starting to ripen. That's a Cowlicks in my avatar.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Re: Daniel Burson - Regular Leaf

Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:43 pm

Here's a couple pics. Color is pretty true.
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:18 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:43 pm Here's a couple pics. Color is pretty true.
IMG_0029.JPGIMG_0031.JPG
You just talked me into growing it, actually the pictures did. I love darkish tomatoes.

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:21 pm

@TheMad_Poet There are off types of Daniel Burson that produce RL plants on occasion. Per Bill Jeffers, the breeder of Daniel Burson, you are not to trade seeds of the RL's that crop up from time to time. Nor are you to call them Daniel Burson. Yes they taste the same but they are not what the breeder released as Daniel Burson. It has Early Girl or Celebrityin it's gene pool (I don't remember which). This will also throw out an incorrect leaf type from time to time and he thinks that this is where this is coming from.

So please enjoy the tomato but do not save seeds. If you would like more Daniel Burson seeds just PM me.
~ Patti ~
AKA ~ Hooper

Yak54
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:23 pm

I'm about to pick my first couple in the next day or two. My Daniel Burson plant is the healthiest plant of all in my garden. It's Potato Leaf which I think is what it is supposed to be. R/L is an anomaly or a cross. Nice looking tomato though ! Patti knows the story about this tomato and I got my seed from her.
Last edited by Yak54 on Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:24 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:43 pm Here's a couple pics. Color is pretty true.
Wait'll you's slice it open!
858909416 (1).jpg
The Gotch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

PlainJane
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:47 pm

Correct, should be PL, not RL.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:39 pm

Gotch, I think I asked for it in trade cause you recommended it a few years ago in a post I read. I cut it open and ate it on a sandwich shortly after my 1st post. Even the wife liked it. Not bad. decent. But Brandywine cowlicks is still my #1 slicer. Had an ananais noire, it was pretty good too. Sweet and fruity. Shall see how they stack up flavor wise as more come in. Eva Purple ball. Like a pink mini Brandywine, but sorry, the 1st one so far is not up to snuff. Tastewise. Solarflare has not ripened yet. Tasmanian chocolates were so bad I pulled both plants. Regret it now, cause so much rain and not a true test of flavor. Virginia sweets, have no ripe ones yet. Brandywine suddath, only 1 ripe so far. As in other years, just don't measure up to cowlicks. Tomato politics has tried to ignore the Cowlicks, but I have never seen suddath out perform on any criteria here in SE Michigan.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:46 pm

I’m at the other end of America and believe and know B. Cowlick’s is awesome for flavor. That said, I haven’t grown Sudduth’s.

As long as we are getting tasty tomatoes, I’m good.

I might try Sudduth’s soon just to see what is what.

Daniel Burson sounds good.

Too many tomatoes and too little time.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:59 pm

karstopography wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:46 pm I’m at the other end of America and believe and know B. Cowlick’s is awesome for flavor. That said, I haven’t grown Sudduth’s.

As long as we are getting tasty tomatoes, I’m good.

I might try Sudduth’s soon just to see what is what.

Daniel Burson sounds good.

Too many tomatoes and too little time.
I think that Daniel Burson would be very good for you to try. It's supposed to take the heat well, it tastes very good and it's a production machine to boot.

You know a tomato is good when you go to the garden to get a tomato for dinner and the first plant that you look to for a ripe tomato is... Daniel Burson or Brandywine. Of course Krim and Cherokee Purple can be better, but neither is going to keep your table in tomatoes for long.
~ Patti ~
AKA ~ Hooper

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Wed Jul 31, 2024 4:19 am

TheMad_Poet wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:39 pm Gotch, I think I asked for it in trade cause you recommended it a few years ago in a post I read.
I got my seeds from the divine @MissS for 2022 season and haven't looked back; heck, it was LUV at 1st bite! A neighbor, to whom one (1) was bequeathed, positively gushed that it resulted in the best BLT she ever had; a sentiment with which I couldn't disagree.

2023 version was disappointingly lackluster. This season's (PL) plant is doing better and is planted just outside the kitchen window between two (2) Ananas Noire (the lovely and long suffering Mrs. Gotch's FAVE), and one (1) Bacon Lettuce and This (H/T @Tormato); quite a lineup, am I right?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:25 am

Seems I was mistaken, took a closer look and I think they are both PL. The big end leaf is not near the size as on my Brandywines, but a potato leaf none the less. I got a bad case of early blight a couple weeks ago, and the DB is suffering more than others. Had 4.5 inches in a 24 hr period, 7" in about 3 days and hot and humid. Was keeping everything pruned well, but still got it. Lots of top leaves left, enuff to ripen things up. But DB is the worst. The cukes love it, 3 11ft rows, have picked around a thousand cukes, in 4 weeks.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:43 am

My DB seeds came from a swap, not sure which one, or who they came from. Got several differnt packets. Pretty looking tomatoes sliced. The tops are kind of an olive color, the bottoms a dark purple. So far flavor is just mediocre. Grew a doz new to me varieties this year, none have impressed me. Cowlicks is good tho, growing in the same beds as the others. 9 Cowlics planted. Orange bananas and Amish paste both nice flavored. Growing suddath again this year-2 plants, so far only one fruit has ripened, while cowlicks has kicked out quite a few.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Aug 08, 2024 12:06 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:43 am My DB seeds came from a swap, not sure which one, or who they came from. Got several differnt packets. Pretty looking tomatoes sliced. The tops are kind of an olive color, the bottoms a dark purple. So far flavor is just mediocre. Grew a doz new to me varieties this year, none have impressed me. Cowlicks is good tho, growing in the same beds as the others. 9 Cowlics planted. Orange bananas and Amish paste both nice flavored. Growing suddath again this year-2 plants, so far only one fruit has ripened, while cowlicks has kicked out quite a few.
What are the other new ones you grew this year?

Yak54
Reactions:

Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:25 pm

IMG_0531 Large.jpeg
Here is one I picked today. Not the prettiest ! From a P/L plant :D
Dan

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:08 pm

Daniel Burson will be one of the participants for tomorrow's Monday Morning BLT Brunch.

The Gotch

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:14 am

Daniel Burson in the middle, with Black Brandywine to the left and Greenbush Italian to the right.
thumbnail_IMG_3179.jpg
The Gotch

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:33 am

@TheMad_Poet Just saw this thread and was astounded at your second photo where you marked the tomato with DB in marker. That's brilliant!! Maybe that's a common thing and I'm an nincompoop but I had never heard of it or seen it before. Some lucky days I collect so many tomatoes by the time I get inside it's hard to remember which is which. I'm sticking a marker in my collection apron ASAP. You just made my life easier and better and I appreciate it. May the tomato gods reward you with blessings for sharing that photo!
Bee happy and pollinate freely!

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:58 am

FatBeeFarm wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:33 am @TheMad_Poet Just saw this thread and was astounded at your second photo where you marked the tomato with DB in marker. That's brilliant!! Maybe that's a common thing and I'm an nincompoop but I had never heard of it or seen it before. Some lucky days I collect so many tomatoes by the time I get inside it's hard to remember which is which. I'm sticking a marker in my collection apron ASAP. You just made my life easier and better and I appreciate it. May the tomato gods reward you with blessings for sharing that photo!
The marker and the electric toothbrush always go to the garden with me. LOL
~ Patti ~
AKA ~ Hooper

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:22 am

FatBeeFarm wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:33 am @TheMad_Poet Just saw this thread and was astounded at your second photo where you marked the tomato with DB in marker.
I put numbers on masking tape, then craft a "legend," a notecard with which numbers indicate which variety.

I also keep them in alphabetical order on the "staging bench"

The Gotch

Return to “General Discussion”