Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:37 pm

@FatBeeFarm, @worth1 these are gigantes aka Greek giant beans.
Very different flavor than lima beans, more like a French cassoulet bean.
IMG_5230.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:56 pm

PlainJane wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:37 pm @FatBeeFarm, @worth1 these are gigantes aka Greek giant beans.
Very different flavor than lima beans, more like a French cassoulet bean.

IMG_5230.jpeg
I've probably had them before.
Unlike most Texans I'm not particularly a fan of pinto beans.
I've always preferred the many varieties of white beans and cranberry beans.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:17 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:45 am @Whwoz
The kangaroo stir fry threw me for a loop.
How popular is it there?
Hard to say to be honest @worth1. Kangaroo cut into strips like that has only been in the shops for five, maybe six months, but kangaroo in the form of steak, both plain and marinated, mince, burgers, meat balls and kebabs holds a consistent width slot in the supermarkets locally.

I am aware that some people will not even consider trying it, due in part to the Skippy factor. Commercial harvesting of Kangaroo is well controlled and restricted to the six species that have benefited from the arrival of white man and his cattle through the extra availablity of water, which has enabled them to keep breeding in years when it would otherwise be to dry.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:29 pm

I'd eat it.
I've seen all manner of cuts on line including kangaroo tail.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:55 pm

Soup was good meat a little chewy but it is what it is.
Had a grilled cheese sandwich with pickled jalapeno to go with it.
Finished everything with a glass of good port imported from Portugal and a big slice of apple pie.
IMG_20240728_175642981_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:33 am

Jack in the box be making a decent burger.
IMG_20240730_123241298_HDR.jpg
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:07 pm

I grilled a whole chicken last night that I broke down into quarters. We ate the dark meat then and saved the breasts for chicken tacos tonight. I liked the tacos more than the grilled dark meat, but both were good.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:10 pm

Had a late lunch at a nice Mexican restaurant in Austin.
Paid for by the head vampire for passing a fire Marshal inspection.
It's been a nightmare job I'm not normally on and there to fix and trouble shoot.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:35 pm

Made a huge pot of zucchini soup. Gave some to my brother and I will eat it for a few days, the rest will go in the freezer. I tried to crop out the mess I made making this, but it didn’t work. :lol:

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:57 am

Sue_CT wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:35 pm Made a huge pot of zucchini soup. Gave some to my brother and I will eat it for a few days, the rest will go in the freezer. I tried to crop out the mess I made making this, but it didn’t work. :lol:

Can you please post the basic ingredients, not necessarily the proportion but just the main ingredients? I'm a lot like worth, I kind of wing it on recipes.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:59 am

Hamburg, onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, elbow macaroni, salt, pepper and a ton of grated aged extra sharp cheddar cheese. I used about 1 1/4 sticks of Cracker Barrel.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:41 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:59 am Hamburg, onion, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, elbow macaroni, salt, pepper and a ton of grated aged extra sharp cheddar cheese. I used about 1 1/4 sticks of Cracker Barrel.

Didn't see the burger, that makes me like it even more. Will probably use venison. Haven't seen extra sharp Cracker Barrel in a long time. Used to be a common item on our counter. A little chunk on a good cracker and microwaved about 20 seconds(and spread as best you can) is a pretty handy snack. Will start on it tomorrow, have to find Cracker Barrel. A goodly amount of the ingredients will come from the garden. Tomato Sauce just made and in the fridge.

Thanks you very much, I really appreciate it. Brenda and I will have it for supper tomorrow.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:31 pm

Another batch of gazpacho! 97° heat calls for cold dishes. Earlier in the day I ate that last batch of that Creole dish I made (not heated!), and just before starting to make the gazpacho I ate the last 2 cups or so of the ratatouille soup. After making the gazpacho, I put about 3/4 of a pint jar in the freezer, to eat tonight - that large bowl will take a long time to chill. After cleaning everything up, and going out briefly, to get some chives, and chopping them up, it was cold already.

I put a large jalapeño in this batch, and tasted it, but not the heat. I didn't put in two, only because someone else will be eating some tomorrow, otherwise, I might have added one of my others.
ImageAnother batch of gazpacho, with some of the garnishes ready to stir in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGazpacho, ready to chill for tomorrow. I put it jar of about 1 1/2c of it in the freezer, for today! Just needs chives and croutons now. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:01 pm

Well I held out as long as I could, but I finally bit the dust and got Covid. The rest of that soup will come in handy. The last thing I want to do right now is cook, lol. Hope you like soup! I used the reserve Cracker Barrel but it was in the fridge for 2 yrs. REALLY well aged and super sharp lol.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:31 pm

The zucchini soup will have postponed until later in the week. Brenda's older sister showed up yesterday with a half bushel of Ky. Wonder beans and 2 big boxes of squash and zucchini plus a box of small cucumbers. Swapped a few tomatoes and she left happy. The beans were put on to simmer overnight, squash casserole ready to go in the oven. Just about everything was homegrown and the brewed Sweet Tea capped it off. Thunder and Lightening has been requested, it should go really well with the remnants of today's meal.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:57 pm

I made another batch of that lentil salad today, since I got my first ripe habanero, and more of those tomatoes than I can use! And it's another thing to eat in this horrible weather, and I'll have a lot of leftovers from both of these things for a while!
ImageEverything put together for the lentil salad, while the lentils and freekeh are cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageChana dal and freekeh drained, for salad. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished lentil salad, using that first habanero of the season (plus a few other things from the garden). by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also made a batch of guacamole, another thing for this weather, plus something I just harvested some more of those peppers for (the Hanoi Market is my favorite in this).
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:19 pm

According to the BBQ thread I'm cooking a brisket point.
I'm also cooking some charro mayocoba beans with a half dried up jalapeno and a couple of slices of pork jowl with the rind on.
The seasoning is Knorr chicken bullion powder.
I'll add the cilantro tomato and onion later.
Next is my homemade potato salad made with russet and Yukon Gold potatoes.
Simple and tasty with nothing but sweet pickle relish mayonnaise and yellow mustard.
Worth

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:23 pm

I don’t know what y’all do, you have probably never been in the situation, but I stock up on cheddar cheese when it’s on sale, Cracker Barrel in my case, but then for dietary reasons really decreased my cheese intake and didn’t use it. I once told my mother I was going to throw some away because it 6 was months past the date on it. She said Don’t do that, I’ll take it! Later told me don’t ever give that cheese away again, it was the best cheese she had ever had. I am in the same position now but some of it has been in there unopened for 2 years! Guess what? The BEST and sharpest cheddar I have ever had! Aged an additional 2 years on the door of my fridge, lol. Now the new stuff tastes so mild, lol. Makes me want to stock up and only use stuff when it gets to be a year or more from the day on the package. 😁 This only works for hard, aged cheese of course, with no signs of mold or spoilage, but I have never had that happen with a sealed package. How to get an expensive, long aged cheddar from a supermarket packaged cheese, I guess.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:11 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:23 pm I don’t know what y’all do, you have probably never been in the situation, but I stock up on cheddar cheese when it’s on sale, Cracker Barrel in my case, but then for dietary reasons really decreased my cheese intake and didn’t use it. I once told my mother I was going to throw some away because it 6 was months past the date on it. She said Don’t do that, I’ll take it! Later told me don’t ever give that cheese away again, it was the best cheese she had ever had. I am in the same position now but some of it has been in there unopened for 2 years! Guess what? The BEST and sharpest cheddar I have ever had! Aged an additional 2 years on the door of my fridge, lol. Now the new stuff tastes so mild, lol. Makes me want to stock up and only use stuff when it gets to be a year or more from the day on the package. 😁 This only works for hard, aged cheese of course, with no signs of mold or spoilage, but I have never had that happen with a sealed package. How to get an expensive, long aged cheddar from a supermarket packaged cheese, I guess.
I do the exact same thing in spare fridges. Processed cheese will sharpen as well.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:20 pm

Sue_CT wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:01 pm Well I held out as long as I could, but I finally bit the dust and got Covid. The rest of that soup will come in handy. The last thing I want to do right now is cook, lol. Hope you like soup! I used the reserve Cracker Barrel but it was in the fridge for 2 yrs. REALLY well aged and super sharp lol.

Back when the deli's used to have Sharp Cheddar cheese wheels, we would buy several wedges. It was not as good as the stick Cracker Barrel. Double wrap it in tinfoil, date it and stick it in the back of the refrigerator. When Ziploc bags became common, the bags gave the wedges a little more protection. The longer it stayed the better it became, although not all of them got old. A cheese peeler with a healthy amount of Cheddar on a Ciabatta Bun with Mayo replacing the Butter made an awesome sandwich. The Buns were made at the local donut shop.

Hope you are feeling better, I've had Covid 4 times although the last time I didn't test. The first one was kind of rough, no energy for several months and an unproductive cough for several months. As a virus mutates it gets weaker and less dangerous. Kind of shocked that you have not had Covid before. I read that over 99% of Americans have had it and have not know it.

Return to “What's Cooking.”