The Conjoined Matrosik... and a name

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
GoDawgs
Reactions:

The Conjoined Matrosik... and a name

Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:45 am

The conjoined Matrosik has gotten bigger and almost ready. She needed a name. Meet Mae West... :lol:
24.07.23 Conjoined Matrosik eggplant (Mae West).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Re: The Conjoined Matrosik... and a name

Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:12 pm

Lol! Very apt.

I have two Matrosik's going but no fruit yet. I'm very excited to try it. Soon I hope.

I'm trialing 10 different eggplant varieties this year and a new variety from Johnny's is murdering all the others in production. It's called Thanos and I have more fruit from two of them than the other 18 eggplant combined. I'm loving this variety and will grow a lot more next year.

I did also harvest two nice "Kamo" eggplants that tasted awesome. To me it's hard for me to discern much difference in taste regardless of which eggplant I grow, but if one eggplant does edge out others in taste it might be this Kamo. It was delicious. But, as I noted, all eggplant seems delicious to me.
Bee happy and pollinate freely!

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:08 pm

FatBeeFarm wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:12 pm Lol! Very apt.

I'm trialing 10 different eggplant varieties this year and a new variety from Johnny's is murdering all the others in production. It's called Thanos and I have more fruit from two of them than the other 18 eggplant combined. I'm loving this variety and will grow a lot more next year.
How do you most often fix them? I usually slice them about a half inch thick and then grill them. Have tried cutting into 1" cubes and roasting them, prefer the grill. Either way a goodly amount of herbs and real parmesan (not the wood fiber that Kraft passes off as parmesan) Will have to try "Thanos", usually I grow "Black Beauty" and a skinny purple one as a backup.

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:42 pm

Ken4230 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:08 pm
How do you most often fix them?
I make them a lot of different delicious ways! Grilling slices with herbs is probably my favorite, but also frying breaded slices, baking rounds with tomato sauce, three cheeses, and basil (wife's fav), baba ganoush, eggplant parm, casserole, moussaka, stir fry, some Indian dishes, eggplant-tomato pasta (actually maybe this is my favorite), there's just so many ways to do it. Every year I grow 20+ eggplants and every year I wish I grew more :D . I would too, but I have a finite amount of seed starting space indoors and so many other plants (tomatoes and peppers) and flowers I need to start too. Going to have to figure out how to solve this limited space issue. Maybe build one of those fancy four tier racks I see pictures of :)

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:10 pm

That is freakin’ hilarious.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:40 pm

You better put some cloth slings under those babies before the break the stem...

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:15 pm

FatBeeFarm wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:42 pm
Ken4230 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:08 pm
How do you most often fix them?
I make them a lot of different delicious ways! Grilling slices with herbs is probably my favorite, but also frying breaded slices, baking rounds with tomato sauce, three cheeses, and basil (wife's fav), baba ganoush, eggplant parm, casserole, moussaka, stir fry, some Indian dishes, eggplant-tomato pasta (actually maybe this is my favorite), there's just so many ways to do it. Every year I grow 20+ eggplants and every year I wish I grew more :D . I would too, but I have a finite amount of seed starting space indoors and so many other plants (tomatoes and peppers) and flowers I need to start too. Going to have to figure out how to solve this limited space issue. Maybe build one of those fancy four tier racks I see pictures of :)
Thanks for the detailed preparation description, never thought of breading and frying them. Have to give that a try. Will probably stick with grilling most of the time. I only grow a half dozen max.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:41 am

JRinPA wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:40 pm You better put some cloth slings under those babies before the break the stem...
Ah! An eggplant bra! They're about ready and the stems are so tough that a really sharp pocketknife has a hard time cutting through them so I just might hold off with the support.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:24 am

Slicing 3/8", salting, resting, breading, and frying in the electric skillet is the only way I ever saw eggplant done in this house, until internet brought new ideas.

BurgundySnail
Reactions:

Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:04 pm

FatBeeFarm wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:12 pm Lol! Very apt.

I have two Matrosik's going but no fruit yet. I'm very excited to try it. Soon I hope.

I did also harvest two nice "Kamo" eggplants that tasted awesome. To me it's hard for me to discern much difference in taste regardless of which eggplant I grow, but if one eggplant does edge out others in taste it might be this Kamo. It was delicious. But, as I noted, all eggplant seems delicious to me.
What other varieties dop you have and like?

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:39 pm

@BurgundySnail

This year I have :
Ping Tung
Orient Express
Aninna
Traviata
Thanos
Rosita
Saitama Ao
Kamo
Mitoyo
Matrosik

I'm always trialing new ones. My favorite eggplant was Shiromaru but I can't find seeds anywhere and the ones I saved aren't germinating. I've done all the mini ones: Hansel, Gretel, Patio Baby, and they're fine, but they're also more work to harvest and cook with because of size. I've also grown Paloma, Aretussa, Aswad, Chinese String, Black Beauty, White Egg, Nagasaki Long, and Thai Long Green. I'm sure I've forgotten some. The only one I didn't like was Casper (weird skin problems and discoloration and rock hard abnormal flesh). What I'm really chasing is: best flavor and best production of large eggplant. Early production is a plus.

Thus far Ping Tung, Orient Express (always first to arrive), Aninna, Traviata, and Shiromaru are my top five that I always plant.

Thanos is a new variety from Johnny's that is my new favorite eggplant because it arrived as quickly as Orient Express this year, is thornless, tastes great, and is the heaviest producer I've ever seen. However I want to finish the year with it before I truly start evangelizing about it. Kamo was really tasty and I'll probably always grow that again too.

BurgundySnail
Reactions:

Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:09 pm

FatBeeFarm wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:39 pm @BurgundySnail

This year I have :
Ping Tung
Orient Express
Aninna
Traviata
Thanos
Rosita
Saitama Ao
Kamo
Mitoyo
Matrosik

I'm always trialing new ones. My favorite eggplant was Shiromaru but I can't find seeds anywhere and the ones I saved aren't germinating. I've done all the mini ones: Hansel, Gretel, Patio Baby, and they're fine, but they're also more work to harvest and cook with because of size. I've also grown Paloma, Aretussa, Aswad, Chinese String, Black Beauty, White Egg, Nagasaki Long, and Thai Long Green. I'm sure I've forgotten some. The only one I didn't like was Casper (weird skin problems and discoloration and rock hard abnormal flesh). What I'm really chasing is: best flavor and best production of large eggplant. Early production is a plus.

Thus far Ping Tung, Orient Express (always first to arrive), Aninna, Traviata, and Shiromaru are my top five that I always plant.

Thanos is a new variety from Johnny's that is my new favorite eggplant because it arrived as quickly as Orient Express this year, is thornless, tastes great, and is the heaviest producer I've ever seen. However I want to finish the year with it before I truly start evangelizing about it. Kamo was really tasty and I'll probably always grow that again too.
Thanks!

I am not a fan of small ones either. Curios to hear how will you like Mitoyo compared to Kamo. Kamo was on my wish list this year but the lady that I was buying a couple of seedlings from wasn't able to get them to germinate. So I ended up with Mitoyo only. Next year I want to grow many japanese ones from rare seeds.

FYI Shiromaru is availbale on rare seeds right now, I have it in my cart!

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:07 am

BurgundySnail wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:09 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I just went to the site and bought it. I miss that eggplant a lot. It was my favorite for making fried eggplant. So tasty. Looks like I'll have it again next year thanks to you, and I'll make sure you get Bizkaya Rosa too.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:10 am

Johnny's germination chart shows the peak rate when the temperature is at about 90 degrees. For those getting poor, or no germination, what temp were you starting your seeds at? I wouldn't go past 90, as the germination rare falls off quickly. Mid-80s sounds about the safest.

BurgundySnail
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:15 am

FatBeeFarm wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 4:07 am
BurgundySnail wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:09 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I just went to the site and bought it. I miss that eggplant a lot. It was my favorite for making fried eggplant. So tasty. Looks like I'll have it again next year thanks to you, and I'll make sure you get Bizkaya Rosa too.
I ordered them too!

Thank you, I'm looking forward to those seeds.

FatBeeFarm
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:52 am

Tormato wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:10 am Johnny's germination chart shows the peak rate when the temperature is at about 90 degrees. For those getting poor, or no germination, what temp were you starting your seeds at? I wouldn't go past 90, as the germination rare falls off quickly. Mid-80s sounds about the safest.
I germinate as close to 85 degrees as I can since I'm doing peppers, eggplants and tomatoes on the same heat mat. I probably average 97% germination every year so this has to be a case of me not saving those eggplant seeds correctly. I need to study up on that more. And I apologize to anyone who got and planted those Shiromaru seeds from the MMMM. I did not realize they were duds.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:21 am

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Millionaire. It is always my earliest and very prolific. I had to redo the eggplants this year as my friend, who was starting them, ran into major transplanting issues and lost a bunch. So I started many again on April 9, which is late for me. The one producing at the moment is a Turkish one. Setting well. This survived the initial transplanting so that explains it producing earliest while the others are behind schedule.
Usually have good luck with Casper, my go to while one. That has a baby on it. Interested in Thanos. Looking forward to your review of that one.
Am also growing Matrosyk but no fruit yet, and agree with preferring the larger over the small varieties. A new recipe I created last year was an eggplant lasagna using the pasta as well but replacing a couple of layers with seasoned and breaded eggplant. Sometimes use zucchini with the eggplant. I freeze extra slices for later use.

BurgundySnail
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:17 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 7:10 am Johnny's germination chart shows the peak rate when the temperature is at about 90 degrees. For those getting poor, or no germination, what temp were you starting your seeds at? I wouldn't go past 90, as the germination rare falls off quickly. Mid-80s sounds about the safest.
Tomatoes and eggplants I don't even bother to warm them up. They germinate fine with my usual temp at home in March, 70-72 during the day and 65 at night. I always plant only 1-2 seed per cup (I skip trays) and always get almost 100% of them. This year every seed germinated from 30+ tomato varieties and 2 varieties of eggplant.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 6:34 pm

FatBeeFarm wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:52 am
I germinate as close to 85 degrees as I can since I'm doing peppers, eggplants and tomatoes on the same heat mat. I probably average 97% germination every year so this has to be a case of me not saving those eggplant seeds correctly. I need to study up on that more. And I apologize to anyone who got and planted those Shiromaru seeds from the MMMM. I did not realize they were duds.
I'm wondering if eggplant are like peppers, for gathering the most viable seeds. I know people who claim the best pepper seeds come from an old past-ripe, wrinkled pepper, and gather seeds just before the inside starts to mold. They believe a smooth.shiny edible pepper can contain many immature seeds.

Me. I have no idea what a past-ripe eggplant looks like, and how well saved seed from such a specimen would germinate.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:13 pm

Also with a pepper it is location of the seeds inside.

Return to “The Gallery”