More Tomatoes Coming On

Let's see those Photos and videos!!
GoDawgs
Reactions:

More Tomatoes Coming On

Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:34 pm

I still can't get over large tomatoes growing on dwarf plants! This is Dwarf Scarlet Heart growing 3" tomatoes. There will be fewer big plants next year and more dwarfs!

24.07.23 Dwarf Scarlet Heart.JPG

There are a few more Rosedales coming along. This is my first year for them and they're a great tomato, worthy of the praises I've read about them in here.

24.07.23 Ripening Rosedales.JPG

Then there's a dwarf tomato from Russia named 'Sherkan'. This is an oddball! It's a sausage shaped, striped bi-color paste tomato. Supposedly 3-6oz fruits and meaty dry flesh with few seeds. 1st time for this one too. Haven't picked one yet.

24.07.23 Sherkhan Dwarf.JPG
24.07.23 Dwarf Sherkhan from Russia.JPG

Tomorrow we can tomatoes. It feels so good to be able to say that after last year's debacle!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: More Tomatoes Coming On

Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:21 pm

"ShereKhan" is a goody, not sure if its from Russia though. Named after the tiger in Kipling's 'Jungle Book' series. A return grower here Down Under.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:38 pm

First year for me also. I just had a BLT yesterday with a BrandyFred (flat softball shaped) that measured 8 1/4"at it's longest point. I have another slightly smaller ripening on the counter now. As much rain as we've had, I am having to pick at first blush. So far the deer and groundhogs have not bothered my dwarfs, they have eaten about everything else. Sweet potatoes, strawberries, squash are all gone. Not happening at night either, they show up like clockwork for lunch. Mostly two small bucks, not scared of me at all. I will walk up within 7-8' before they turn and walk off.

Right now I have a list of 14 dwarfs that I intend to order from Victory plus the 4 I have now. Have to try a bunch and weed them out as I go.
Sure would have been nice if they had completed this project about 20 years ago.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Rosedale, that’s on my future grow list. Perhaps in 2025.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:35 am

Whwoz wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:21 pm "ShereKhan" is a goody, not sure if its from Russia though. Named after the tiger in Kipling's 'Jungle Book' series. A return grower here Down Under.
How long did yours get? I got my information about this one from Tatiana's Tomatobase and they look longer than mine. They sure are strange looking.

https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sherkhan

You're right about the Kipling citation! From the site:

History
Russian commercial variety, vended by CV Gavrish.
The name means 'Shere Khan' in Russian. This is a name of a fictional tiger who appears in two of Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book stories featuring Mowgli.
Introduced commercially by Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds in 2015.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:05 pm

From memory about 4 inches long, typical paste type @GoDawgs. Plants only a couple of feet high but load up well. Wondering if what you have pictures is from a double flower.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:25 pm

This is my first year growing dwarfs and I can already tell that I am going to like them. It's going to be hard to give up my old reliable heirlooms. Haven't really decided yet but I may just build more beds. One thing I do know is that BrandyFred is now a permanent fixture in my garden. I have a list of about 2 dozen that I am going to try next year. Mostly large Potato leaf. BrandyFred has some foliar damage but so do all the rest of my tomatoes. In the last 6 weeks we have had over 30 inches of rain, more than 21" 3 Sundays ago.

Now 2 young bucks are stopping by for lunch every day, they have destroyed my sweet potatoes, strawberries, squash and cucumber vines. If I can figure out a way to kill them without getting in a lot of trouble, I may have to. They are picky with the squash leaves, only eating the nice new leaves. And they are not scared at all, I can get within 5-6 feet of them before they amble off. Wish it was this way during deer season.

I love AT&T. Internet has been out for several days. In my conversations with them, I get all kinds of explanations. Last one was a local outage, won't be repaired until the 29th. Hope they have fixed the problem early. I think today is the 24th. Internet went out just as I was posting the above, had no idea it posted. Was in a hurry before it went off again. Sorry about the double post.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:39 am

Ken4230 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:25 pm This is my first year growing dwarfs and I can already tell that I am going to like them. It's going to be hard to give up my old reliable heirlooms. Haven't really decided yet but I may just build more beds.
More and more I'm liking these dwarf tomatoes I'm trying this year. Dwarf plants will never replace some of the big regular type of tomato plants but you sure can get more plants in the same space. There will be a serious revision of the tomato grow list for next spring!
Ken4230 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:25 pm I love AT&T. Internet has been out for several days. In my conversations with them, I get all kinds of explanations. Last one was a local outage, won't be repaired until the 29th. Hope they have fixed the problem early. I think today is the 24th. Internet went out just as I was posting the above, had no idea it posted. Was in a hurry before it went off again. Sorry about the double post.
We just went through the AT&T maze about two weeks ago. After the clickety-clack line check, their auto-answer thing told me right away there was a big cable cut near me. It took three days to fix, not the two they said but I can understand that if it's a big cable. The problem came when we got dial tone that morning and then no dial tone in the afternoon. Dialed the same repair number and no robot. It was the first of several real people who couldn't tell me what the problem was or when it would be fixed. The last guy Pickles talked to was a snarky little twit who gave her a confirmation number for October 29th, about two weeks away when they'd send someone out to look at the phone. No, idiot! When the cable's fixed, the phone will be too.

Yes, I'm talking about a land line. Cell phone reception here is iffy so for emergencies I want the land line. It works during power outages and I never have to worry about charging up the thing. :)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:47 am

About that Sherkhan tomato. I was picking half ripe tomatoes yesterday ahead of big incoming rain and took the Sherkhan. BER all over the bottom. Oh well, there will be more.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:52 pm

A couple of photos of Sherekhan from last season and yes, if memory serves me correctly there was BER which the plants grew out of
IMG_20230304_141013_965.jpg
IMG_20230304_142637_243.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ken4230
Reactions:

Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:40 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:47 am About that Sherkhan tomato. I was picking half ripe tomatoes yesterday ahead of big incoming rain and took the Sherkhan. BER all over the bottom. Oh well, there will be more.
In my youth, I used to travel with the Cats and saw Dominique play a couple of times. The man was awesome. it's been 50 years ago you might not remember and my memory is not what it used to be. I've heard the "GoDawgs" chant many times over the years. Out of high school, he appeared in the Derby Classic and made the other kids look like preschoolers. He also made me into a Hawks fan. Realize that this is off topic but thought you would get a kick out of a Cats fan salivating over a Dawg.

Return to “The Gallery”