Mayonnaise Musings.

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Mayonnaise Musings.

Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:41 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:39 pm What, you don't like mayonnaise?
The owner of the website is the one who hates mayo.

I like/love mayo, for both the taste and it being lube for certain dry foods. I like it so much, that I just picked up the last two 48 oz jars of GV mayo in WalMart. It was on the top shelf, a bit back, out of reach. A quick trip to the household cleaning supplies aisle, and a return to the condiments aisle with a broom, solved the problem. I often do this with plastic jars, not so much with glass ones. And, yes I returned the broom.

I couldn't find one of those rolling shelves with stairs. The funny thing is, I know how to unfold the stairs for use, but haven't figured out how to fold them back up. Since I doubt that they want customers using that contraption, I'm in and out of that aisle in a hurry. One of these days I'll just study the thing, unfold the stairs and attempt to fold it back up, without using it. I really do need to get a blue vest, to buy myself more time. ;)

peebee
Reactions:

Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:45 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:51 am As of yet Sam the cooking guy hasn't used Duke's mayonnaise in his videos.
He continues to use the Japanese mayonnaise and continues to keep running out.
The prices be pays for it is over the top.
Nor has he figured out how to store it upside down so he can get every last drop.
Not only that but to get even more you can easily cut off the squeezable bottle in half or shorter, and use a small spoon or knife to get the last dollops out of the opening.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:20 pm

Upon more research I've found the the main difference between so called American mayonnaise and Kewpie is MSG.
So I made sort of a Kewpie substitute by scooping some Duke's mayonnaise into a bowl and adding two egg yolks in it.
I added MSG.
That really changed the flavor.
I then put some apple cider vinegar in it along with some peanut oil.
Its a little on the thin side but I put it in my potato salad and mixed it up.
It'll be gone in a couple of days.
Something else that nobody has brought up is egg production in Japan and Europe compared to the US industrial eggs.
Kewpie has there own egg factory from what I've seen but I don't know how the hens are treated.
They also feed their chickens a diet high in betacarotin.

Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:10 pm

Tormato wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:41 pm
worth1 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:39 pm What, you don't like mayonnaise?
The owner of the website is the one who hates mayo.

I like/love mayo, for both the taste and it being lube for certain dry foods. I like it so much, that I just picked up the last two 48 oz jars of GV mayo in WalMart. It was on the top shelf, a bit back, out of reach. A quick trip to the household cleaning supplies aisle, and a return to the condiments aisle with a broom, solved the problem. I often do this with plastic jars, not so much with glass ones. And, yes I returned the broom.

I couldn't find one of those rolling shelves with stairs. The funny thing is, I know how to unfold the stairs for use, but haven't figured out how to fold them back up. Since I doubt that they want customers using that contraption, I'm in and out of that aisle in a hurry. One of these days I'll just study the thing, unfold the stairs and attempt to fold it back up, without using it. I really do need to get a blue vest, to buy myself more time. ;)
As an update to this post, I asked an associate how to close up the stairs. She pointed to a sticker which points out the release latch. The original rolling shelve with stairs that I used lacked that sticker. And, that release latch was on the side closest to the shelves, so I only took a very quick glance down that side.

Now to find the aisle that sells the blue vests Or, I could buy a roll of blue Duck tape, head to the changing room, and.... :roll:

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Aug 04, 2024 10:23 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 4:20 pm Upon more research I've found the the main difference between so called American mayonnaise and Kewpie is MSG.
So I made sort of a Kewpie substitute by scooping some Duke's mayonnaise into a bowl and adding two egg yolks in it.
I added MSG.
That really changed the flavor.
I then put some apple cider vinegar in it along with some peanut oil.
Its a little on the thin side but I put it in my potato salad and mixed it up.
It'll be gone in a couple of days.
Something else that nobody has brought up is egg production in Japan and Europe compared to the US industrial eggs.
Kewpie has there own egg factory from what I've seen but I don't know how the hens are treated.
They also feed their chickens a diet high in betacarotin.

I doubt if many Americans, who are not around egg layers, know that there are more shell colors than just white and brown.

A few people occasionally bring me their excess eggs, when the hens are at their peak seasonal laying. Green, blue and light tan are other colors that I quite often see. And, nearly all have likely never seen a double-yolked egg.

Whwoz
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:36 am

Pink and Olive green are two other colours available, then there are the eggs from the Marans of James Bond fame, nearly chocolate in colour and supposedly better tasting. Will be getting chooks as soon as I can get a fox proof run set up for them, will probably wind up with more birds than we really need to cover the available colours.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:01 am

I watched a video where the guy taste tested all the different eggs and couldn't really tell the difference between one or the other.
One thing for certain there isn't much regulation as to what people can put on the carton.
Much of it is to just jack the price up.
Stuff like cage free and so on.
Worth

peebee
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 3:32 pm

The video on eggs doesn't address the taste difference only color. When I was younger & tasted my first egg in Japan I was surprised at how good it tasted. The yolks weren't that orange back then. Another thing I've noticed is how thick & almost gooey the yolks are. I have to scrub the plates after eating fried eggs there. I've always wondered, is that also caused by their high betacarotene diet?

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:01 pm

After nearly 60 years of raising chickens I've learned that highly flavored eggs are more breed specific than any other thing. Egg flavor can really be boosted with some breeds by diet, but not nearly as much boost with others. I have always loved a good flavored egg, but a strong smelling and tasting egg I can't stand!

A long time ago all of my chickens were allowed to free range 100% of the time. I started picking up on the taste differences back then. I couldn't eat the strong tasting eggs from some hens while the other eggs just had a great rich flavor. Later in life after free ranging wasn't possible and my chickens were confined because of predators, I learned that supplementing some breeds with scraps and forage led to those strong tasting eggs, but to other breeds it really had no major effect at all. I have found that a balanced corn based diet gives the richest overall egg flavor regardless of breed.

Yolk color is another thing. In all my years I have never saw those dark, reddish orange egg yolks like the Japanese egg yolks no matter what my hens foraged on. Very rich yellow orange, yes, (and never for very long before fading back to a more subtle yellow) but never that deep reddish orange that the Japanese boast. A few years back I did some research and set out to create those reddish orange yolks.

I learned that the deeply colored yolks were because of the carotenoids and xanthophylls in the hen's diet, so I set out to duplicate those deep yolk colors by feeding my hens surplus sweet taters, and supplementing their ration with cheap paprika. After a week I began getting some noticeably darker shades of yolk, but nothing even remotely close to the Japanese yolks. So, I upped the paprika in the ration to the point that the feed had taken on a red color. After a week the redness of the yolks definitely increased a couple of shades but still not even close to Japanese eggs. At that point the hens didn't even want to eat that feed that had so much paprika in it. Later on, not giving up on my quest to create the Japanese yolks, I did some more research and stumbled upon some synthetic pigments called Carophylls.
https://www.dsm.com/anh/en_NA/products- ... /eggs.html

I learned that Carophyll was pretty widely used in the egg industry to make any shade of egg yolk that the consumers preferred. So, I obtained a small amount to see what would happen to my yolk color when I used it in my hens feed. Just a minuscule amount of this synthetic substance added to my hens feed gave me those dark yolks I had been trying to replicate, and it did it FAST! Another thing I noticed when sampling these eggs was that the yolks became thick and gooey to the point that the yolk would have to be scraped off the plates after a breakfast of sunny side up eggs. After that I quit using the Carophyll.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:19 pm

So basically they are cheating by adding a synthetic substance...shocked, shocked I say.

They look gross anyway, to my eye. A nice natural yellow for me, thanks.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:57 pm

JRinPA wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:19 pm So basically they are cheating by adding a synthetic substance...shocked, shocked I say.

They look gross anyway, to my eye. A nice natural yellow for me, thanks.
We don't know the half of anything.

I can't find the article, but Carophyll was recently classified as no different than naturally occurring pigments.

peebee
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:39 am

Interesting for sure! Definitely a change of something in the diet made the yolks thicker then hmmm? They weren't that texture years ago. But the taste is still very good IMO. Like the organic & fresh eggs you can find here at the farmers market and high end supermarket. Prices are beyond what I can afford 😞

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:51 am

Uncle_Feist wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:01 pm … Later in life after free ranging wasn't possible and my chickens were confined because of predators, I learned that supplementing some breeds with scraps and forage led to those strong tasting eggs, but to other breeds it really had no major effect at all. I have found that a balanced corn based diet gives the richest overall egg flavor regardless of breed.
That remind me of what happens in this book if you let your cats fend for themselves and eat mice and birds instead of feeding them bread and milk. ;)
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:21 am

Tormato wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:41 pm…I like/love mayo, for both the taste and it being lube for certain dry foods. …
That's how I use ketchup (on dry foods). I always used to be astonished whenever I'd see someone eat a hotdog with nothing bit trickle of mustard. However, I've since learned that you can acquire a taste for dry foods; it's like your saliva adapts or something if you eat it enough, so you don't have to drink something to get it down comfortably (I still prefer it with ketchup or such, though).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:56 am

How does the diet and therefore the yolk change the actual chick if the egg were fertilized?

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:20 am

Yellow or orangy yellow yolks are fine. Not sure about the deep orange almost red ones. I believe the yolk is there to feed the developing embryonic chick. Would the dark orange yolks be toxic or harmful to the embryo or would the chicks come out orange? Interesting.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:34 am

karstopography wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:20 am Would the dark orange yolks be toxic or harmful to the embryo or would the chicks come out orange? Interesting.
I don't think it would harm the embryo, as Carophyll is also used by canary and tropical fish enthusiasts to enhance their colors.

@JRinPA I think I answered your question as well.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:46 pm

They'll be red headed step chicks.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:50 pm

There it is.

The color, that I can see being neutral, but the stickiness? Viscosity of the yolk? That has to change something. But what?

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:01 pm

JRinPA wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:50 pm There it is.

The color, that I can see being neutral, but the stickiness? Viscosity of the yolk? That has to change something. But what?
Good question.

Return to “What's Cooking.”