dog food - which vegetables are okay?

JRinPA
Reactions:

dog food - which vegetables are okay?

Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:02 am

There is so much idiocy on the internet.
You would think the American Kennel Club would have a good checklist of what is okay for dogs to eat.
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutri ... -cant-eat/
AKC wrote:Asparagus
No, dogs should not eat asparagus. While asparagus isn’t necessarily unsafe for dogs, there’s really no benefit to feeding it to them. It’s too tough to be eaten raw, and by the time you cook it down so it’s soft enough for dogs to eat, asparagus loses much of its nutritional value. If you really want to share a veggie with your dog, there are plenty of other options that would be a better choice. But, if your dog really loves asparagus for some reason, it won’t harm them to eat it.
They shouldn't eat it...but if they love it, then it won't harm them!? And it too tough for them to eat!? Dog's absolutely love raw asparagus. It is as if the writer doesn't even know what asparagus is.
AKC wrote: Tomatoes
No, dogs should avoid tomatoes. While the ripened flesh of the tomato fruit is generally safe for dogs, the green parts of the tomato plant contain a toxic substance called solanine. A dog would need to eat a large amount of the tomato plant to make him or her sick, but it’s better to skip tomatoes all together just to be safe. If your dog likes to explore your vegetable garden, be sure to prevent them from having access to your tomato plants. You can find dog-safe tomato treats if your dog loves the flavor or ripe, antioxidant-rich tomatoes.
No, dogs should not eat tomatoes because the tomato plant is poisonous....even though the actual tomato is safe, nutritious, and dogs love them.

Does anyone have a good, legitimate list not written by an idiot, of what vegetables dogs should and should not eat?

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: dog food - which vegetables are okay?

Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:14 am

How about rabbit poop? My dog seems to really enjoy eating rabbit poo, lots of vegetable matter in those. He chases the rabbits first and then circles back to eat their pellets. That’ll show them.

There’s something else in the yard he likes also. Not grass but a weed. He eats the weed and then throws up about five or ten minutes later. If I see him eating the weed, I know not to bring him inside until he throws it all up.

I can’t get him to eat his vegetables. He does like green beans if they get cooked soft in a lot of bacon. Tate loves raw or roasted, especially roasted unsalted peanuts in the shell. We do too and will sit outside and crack open some peanuts, Tate will beg for them.

Tate hates tomatoes. I did get him to try a purple hull pink eye pea. I could tell he didn’t really like it, but there was enough bacon flavor on the pea to make it tolerable. Tate hates lettuce. Hates blueberries. Hates fruit.

I don’t have a list. My dog’s list is he hates them all. Rice with a little butter on it is a different story. Lick the cheese off some broccoli, yea, I’m in.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Labradors
Reactions:

Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:57 am

In order for dogs to extract nutrition from veggies, they first need to be ground-up, cooked or frozen.

That said, my labs love raw cucumber, carrots, broccoli stems, cabbage, cauliflower stems, tomatoes, apples and more. They always get raw pieces of whatever I am preparing for supper, when they come and mooch in the kitchen, and they help themselves to apples - and tomatoes in the garden, if they can reach them!

I grow lots of parsley and chard, and freeze it to add to their meals in the winter.

I have one dog who loves raw asparagus and one who turns up her nose.

I often read that avocado isn't good for dogs, yet I've heard of a company that makes dog food which includes it. (We never have any to share).

Of course we're not supposed to give dogs grapes or raisins. I grow grapes and my dogs have helped themselves to them for years, and lived. I've read a lot about it, and they don't seem to know why "some" grapes can kill dogs :(.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:08 am

I had a dog that would eat anything I ate including raw green beans.
One orange Tabby liked anything orange like carrots or corn.
Had several dogs that liked cooked onions.
I had no idea it was bad for them.
One cat was addicted to poultry or anything bird.
Our dogs loved to chew ice and eat watermelon and cantaloupe.
One dog ate poke berries.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:05 pm

mine loves cabbage. we eat a lot of slaw salads. our dog camps out waiting for any cabbage that
might hit the floor. i know its best cooked, but she doesn't care. she also likes brussells sprouts.
i dropped half a cooked one on the floor, and she scarfed it down. carrots are fine, but my dog has
no interest. i used to have an old english sheep dog that liked tomatoes. one day i watched her from
the house as she bounced a tomato off her nose trying to get at it through the tomato cage.

fruit wise, apples, and blueberries are good. my dog likes those.

keith

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:28 pm

I recall the time I was making a hot dog meal for the dogs.
It was freezing cold outside.
I made a big kettle of flour gravy with all the spices like garlic powder black pepper salt and so on.
Then I dumped in a big portion of dry dog food.
My pot smoking buddy comes over and says man that smells good and got himself some and sucked it down with a cup of coffee before I could warn him.
At least it was a quality dog food. :lol:
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:37 am

I was not sure about broccoli, I thought cole crop gas was a problem but wasn't sure. I expected to find much better guidelines, in a spreadsheet form, from the AKC.

This is what I remember, some non vegetables included, the NO GO foods.
Raisins, too much sugar. Grapes too I guess.
Onions and garlic, no. They do get some though if they get some prepared food with onions and garlic in the base, but not straight.
Cheese, no, but I may have learned that from Captain Archer on enterprise with his beagle. Probably as good a source as any. Plus cheese is too expensive, can't grow it.
Chocolate, no. Sugar or cocoa or just too expensive for dogs, I don't know.
Cole crops, problem with gas.

These Springers will eat most anything but I've noticed they each have their quirks.
My first springer was averse to oranges. At the last second the head turned away. Offer again, yes please, then again the head turns at the last second. This current white one is the same way. But the female will eat oranges.
Neither like raw cabbage, or it seems, raw cucumbers.
They love asparagus, raw or cooked. Tough to keep them from helping themselves in May.
Kohlrabi they seem to love, most roots vegetables.
Pears, they'll eat as many as they can that hit the ground. My first springer got stung by yellow jacket or white faced hornet, but it didn't stop him for long.
Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes right off the plant. This year I planted mine in the back yard and have them hanging for easy canine access. Cut up tomatoes inside, they'll eat any they can.
Bananas I was not sure about, I guess they are not that sugary. They will eat the peels, too.
Hot peppers, one of the grabbed some pickled jalapenos off the floor a month or two back. Got a little look after 15 seconds, but I quite imagine was ready for more.
Pumpkin, home canned, they get semi regularly and particularly the white one if I think he ate something he shouldn't have, like corn cobs or washcloths or pot holders. Flax seed helps there too.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:30 am

Heard a woman at the store chewing out some poor guy that worked in the meat department about the neck bone meat she was cooking for her dog still had blood around the bones.
She said something was wrong with the meat.
There's some crazy people out there.
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:29 pm

Okay, how about sauerkraut? Fresh in fridge after fermenting. It is cabbage and a little carrot and fennel (DON"T DO THAT NO MATTER WHICH YOUTUBER SAYS TO). The dog like it fine, but is it good or bad for them?

Supposed to be good for people stomachs...

Labradors
Reactions:

Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:27 am

All good stuff I should think. My two LOVE cabbage and carrot. Not sure about fennel (which I only grow for the Swallowtails).

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:29 pm

I would look into some forums having to do with feeding a raw diet. I know carrots have sugar but are considered good in normal quantities, green beans are a great filler, no onions, raisins or grapes. Other than that, might be what your dog will eat. We had a small standard doxie who thought a leaf of lettuce was as good as a steak. I have shelties and am on a sheltie forum with a few who feed raw. I feed my two kibble, but they get things like watermelon, beans, squash, blueberries, bananas.
- Sandy zone 6A

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:28 pm

I just know cats - 7 parts boiled chicken, turkey or fish, 2 parts cooked white rice, 1 part cooked peas/carrots, cooking water saved, put in fridge, defatted next day. Very rarely they get boiled beef or pork.

Rice and veggies pureed, sometimes meat, too, adding cooking water so blender doesn't clog up. They like shredded meat better, AT TIMES (they're cats). To mix things up, I sometimes stir in about an equal amount of dry bagged cat food. I keep adding cooking water just beyond what can be absorbed. These cats love very wet food. Rather than drinking water from a very shallow bowl, they'd rather lap up the juices on their plate of food.

Shule
Reactions:

Tue Aug 20, 2024 5:15 pm

Avocado meal is supposed to be safe:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 114703.htm

Raw fresh avocados themselves still need further investigation, but from the article, it sounds like cooking them would render them safe even if they're unsafe raw.

This study talks about vegan dog food that seems to be safe, which includes the following ingredients: lentils, garbanzo beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, apples, blueberries, peas, and carrots (they weren't studying the toxicity of it, though; just nutrition):
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 114811.htm

This study seems to indicate that sweet potatoes, kale, spinach, cranberries, and carrots in some form or other are safe for dogs (the dogs that ate food containing these ingredients were healthy throughout the study, although that's not what the study was about):

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 171030.htm
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Return to “Livestock & Pets”