Another rye bread - this time with some barley and some WW flour.

Bread making, Baking and Cakes tips and recipes.
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Another rye bread - this time with some barley and some WW flour.

Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:30 pm

I baked a loaf or rye bread today, that I started yesterday with a sponge made with half barley flour and half rye, soaked about 18 hours. It was made of 2/3 c barley and about 2 c rye, so it was relatively low in whole wheat, which I think ended up only around 1 2/3 c. I added a little wheat gluten, but it fell a little when baking, and the bread will be a little dense, but it will still be delicious, I'm sure.

ImageA loaf of rye bread, with some barley flour added to the overnight sponge. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Another rye bread - this time with some barley and some WW flour.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:29 pm

This time it was a similar bread, that started with a sponge with some rye and barley flour, with a tb each of caraway and instant yeast and some water. It sat on my counter for 3 days. I was making these outside on my grill, since I don't like to turn the oven on in this heat! Or any kitchen heat, for that matter! First, I made the chicken I was going to marinate, to grill after the bread, and put that in the fridge, then made the bread. I added the sponge, some essential gluten (since I had so much rye flour), a little brewer's yeast, blackstrap molasses, oil, a tb of salt, 2 more tsp of yeast, another tb of caraway, 2 c water, and 4 c of whole rye flour, then mixed it all up with the bread whisk, then put the bowl on the mixer, with 2 c WW flour, and set it to mix with the dough hook on 4 for 6 minutes. This was fairly quick, since this time, with the hydration being perfect, once the "kneading" started - no extra flour needed (what usually happens), so it was all whole grain, and not too dry.
ImageHere's that rye/barley sponge, that I started 3 days ago, getting ready to make 2 loaves of bread, outside, on the grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe bread dough, a little more than 68 oz, ready to rise, and make into 2 loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageRisen bread dough, ready to bake on the grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished rye bread, baked on grill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bread didn't keep much of the height, but that's normal, with a bread using that much rye, compared to WW. Only added 1/4 c gluten - could have used more.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “The Bakery”